Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Interview at INS

Hi,
    I have been finally called for an interview with my wife at local INS in January. My I485 case was sent to Chicago office from Nebraska office because I have an arrest history that I reported when filing my I485. My arrest was about attacking my wife during quarrel (very sour to think it again) but this case was dismissed and removed. But I reported honestly to INS and I think my finger print check is cleared by FBI without a problem (am I right for this part if I get to interview without being told by INS about finger print?). That is why my case was transferred to local office.

My questions are:

1. I am wondering what questions the INS guys are going to ask (especially in Chicago office). Do they ask my wife and me separately in separate rooms?

2. Is there going to be a problem for my arrest history although that case was dismissed?

3. The advice of my attorney said to prepare everything including proof of vital marriage (maybe all the picture with kids and etc.) What actually do I have to prepare?

4. My attorney would charge me extra $500 for accompanying with us to the interview if we want to. Is it neceaary to bring my attorney to the interview? Is it helpful to protect me and my wife from interviewers? I think I may do that because I have an arrest history.

Thank you very much for your time and help in advance.
    Good luck to all you want to have a green card.

JT

Hi,
    I have been finally called for an interview with my wife at local INS in January. My I485 case was sent to Chicago office from Nebraska office because I have an arrest history that I reported when filing my I485. My arrest was about attacking my wife during quarrel (very sour to think it again) but this case was dismissed and removed. But I reported honestly to INS and I think my finger print check is cleared by FBI without a problem (am I right for this part if I get to interview without being told by INS about finger print?). That is why my case was transferred to local office.

My questions are:

1. I am wondering what questions the INS guys are going to ask (especially in Chicago office). Do they ask my wife and me separately in separate rooms?

2. Is there going to be a problem for my arrest history although that case was dismissed?

3. The advice of my attorney said to prepare everything including proof of vital marriage (maybe all the picture with kids and etc.) What actually do I have to prepare?

4. My attorney would charge me extra $500 for accompanying with us to the interview if we want to. Is it neceaary to bring my attorney to the interview? Is it helpful to protect me and my wife from interviewers? I think I may do that because I have an arrest history.

Thank you very much for your time and help in advance.
    Good luck to all you want to have a green card.

JT

Given your arrest history, it's probably worth the $500 to have your attorney accompany you. While I'm not familiar with the nuances of the Chicago USCIS office, I've heard from quite a few attorneys that immigration officers may get sidetracked in interviews when an applicant has an arrest record, and may start asking all kinds of questions that are irrelevant and inappropriate for the immigration interview. A competent attorney can help to defuse this, and to keep the immigration officer focused on asking only questions that are appropriate. Also, if you are nervous at the interview, knowing that someone is there to help you, and not USCIS, can help set your mind at ease.

Regarding the arrest, bring as much information as you can about the disposition of the arrest charges: a statement from the court (or the police, or the district attorney) confirming that all charges were dropped.

For proof of a bona fide marriage, bring a few photos (wedding, kids, vacation) that you can leave with the officer for the file. Also, if you have joint bank accounts, bring those statements, and bring copies of your joint tax returns. Also, bring copies of your children's birth certificates.

While it's always possible that you and your wife will be interviewed separately, if most of the evidence points toward a bona fide marriage, (and if you have kids, it should be a no-brainer on that score) they won't proceed to separate interviews.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. That is very helpful.

JT

I think that was the lawgal suggested is more than sufficient. I do not think that your attorney needs to be there because he is not going to do anything. He is going to present everything you have like you would do it yourself. You are married and you are on the clear for this arrest. They just want to see what kind of citizen you are now.
    I think the 500 bucks is a waist and since you have been relieved from the arrest then there should not be a problem.

If an arrest was over-turned, then it should not be even an issue...but my motto is, be prepared for any question..and above all, answer HONESTLY. There's nothing worse than to try to side step the issue or offer information which may be false.

This is JT again.
    Thanks for all your reply, but I have a question again.

Documentation preparation that came with the letter for an interview schedule requires an original and copy of Court Disposition for my case.
    Gee, I looked up my file and found the copy of disposition. But I am not sure if it is the original or not. I called the Court again to request the original disposition but my case was expunged (that I requested two years ago with the deposition request). They do not have any record now.

I am not sure if it is OK to bring the deposition that I have now. Is there anyway to get the court confirmation for my case that was dismissed? Is it simply OK for me to go with my deposition?

Thank you.

JT

I don't want to be in trouble

Getting the court to say that the case was dismissed, I am not sure how to do that. The best way its obviously to call up the court house and talk to everyone who knows to help you get this request. If this is not possible because its been DISMISSED, it should not be an issue. If you can get it from the court its fine.

Its also fine to go with your deposition. Of course. That is all the proof you have. Re-read and remember details. The officers might aske a couple of questions about it. BUT REALLY- THE focus will be on YOUR MARRIAGE.

Let us know how the interview went. As long are you are speaking the truth about your marriage you are welcomed here anytime.

Good luck!

Thanks guys.

I will post what will come out from my interview.
    That way, it will help those who are in the same shoes.

JT