50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Temporary alien card

I have applied for adjustment of status through marriage. I have already received the work authorization.
    I have received a letter from INS saying:
    "Your application for adjustment of status to that of lawful permanent resident has been approved. You should receive your resident alien card by mail in about 6 months. If you wish to obtain a temporary alien card, you must appear in person ...in order to receive a temporary alien card stamp."¯
    Today I went to INS and I got the stamp in my passport.
    On the stamp, it is written: "Processed for I-55L Temporary evidence for permanent residence valid until 9-24-2003, Employment Authorized"¯

1/In six months, which kind of card I have to receive? Temporary Green Card or Permanent Green Card?
    2/Do I need to remove the conditions on my Permanent Residence after 2 years of marriage?
    Thanks very much!
    akakpo

I have applied for adjustment of status through marriage. I have already received the work authorization.
    I have received a letter from INS saying:
    "Your application for adjustment of status to that of lawful permanent resident has been approved. You should receive your resident alien card by mail in about 6 months. If you wish to obtain a temporary alien card, you must appear in person ...in order to receive a temporary alien card stamp."¯
    Today I went to INS and I got the stamp in my passport.
    On the stamp, it is written: "Processed for I-55L Temporary evidence for permanent residence valid until 9-24-2003, Employment Authorized"¯

1/In six months, which kind of card I have to receive? Temporary Green Card or Permanent Green Card?
    2/Do I need to remove the conditions on my Permanent Residence after 2 years of marriage?
    Thanks very much!
    akakpo

Absolutely, by filling out form I-751 with your spouse, you must remove the conditions... Otherwise removal proceedings will be commenced against you...

Also that 2 year period starts when you get your AOS approved.... It doesn't start with your marriage date...

The type of card you will get depends on how long you were married when you had your interview. If it's less than 2 years, you'll get the conditional one, if it's more than 2 years, you'll get the 10 year one.

Like bushmaster said you have to apply to have those conditions removed before your card expires or you will be deported.

Akapo,

My fiance and I are ABOUT to go through the same process as you just did so first of all congrats to you. Secondly, we would like to hear your experiences and whatever else you could share with us IF you don't mind that is so we could be more knoweledgable on this as we are new to this process.

If you don't mind please e-mail us as
    Liquidmovability@AOL.com. Thank you and congrats.

US