free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange annotation on B2 visa

I applied for a tourist visa at my US consulate.
    On the application form I stated my sister-in-law as the person who will travel with me.
    I got the a 3 month single entry B2 visa with the following annotation:

"3 wks w/ [name] sister-in-law"

I have 3 questions regarding my visa:

Does it mean that I can only be admitted to enter if I travel with my sister-in-law? What if she can't travel with me finally? Do I have to re-apply for another visa even if my current b2 visa is valid (because of the annotation) if she can't come with me?

Is the maximum admitted time 3 weeks, or does it still depend on the immigration officer?

If my I-94 allows me to stay only for 3 weeks, can I apply for an extension of stay when I'm in the U.S.?

thank you

I applied for a tourist visa at my US consulate.
    On the application form I stated my sister-in-law as the person who will travel with me.
    I got the a 3 month single entry B2 visa with the following annotation:

"3 wks w/ [name] sister-in-law"

I have 3 questions regarding my visa:

Does it mean that I can only be admitted to enter if I travel with my sister-in-law? What if she can't travel with me finally? Do I have to re-apply for another visa even if my current b2 visa is valid (because of the annotation) if she can't come with me?

Is the maximum admitted time 3 weeks, or does it still depend on the immigration officer?

If my I-94 allows me to stay only for 3 weeks, can I apply for an extension of stay when I'm in the U.S.?

thank you

1. Yes, you will have to travel with your sister-in-law.

2. Three months mean that you can travel to US withing three months.

3. It will depend on Immigration Officer at Port of Entry to determine period of your stay which in most cases could be 90 to 180 days.

4. You can not travel alone, if you do, at the port of entry you can be denied entry and deported.

5. If you re-apply, your visa might be cancelled by the Consualte.

6. You can apply for extension here with INS to extend your stay beyong the period determined by Officer at Port of Entry.

Hi,

1. YES - you can travel on your own, are you visiting somoene in the US?

2. No you dont have to re-apply for a new visa if she cannot travle with you.

3. If you visa is valid for 3 months - you can stay in the US till that period. On your day of entering the US, you will receive a I-94 card, on this card the port of entry officer will put a stamp on. It will either be 'coded' as the day your flight ticket says you return or it could be for 6 months. But just b\c that says 6 months does not allow you to stay 6 months as your visa is only valid for 3 months - understand?

4. Yes you can re-apply for an extension - but just for traveling this is very rare to be approved.

HOpe this helps

The validity dates on the visa show the time period during which you are allowed to ENTER the US. A visa is an entry permit, it says nothing about how long you are permitted to stay. (A ten year, multiple-entry visa, for example, does NOT mean that you can stay in the US for ten years without leaving.)

When you arrive in the US, an INS officer will issue you an I-94 card. The date on that card shows how long you can stay on this trip.

I've never heard of a notation like the one you mentioned, so I can't say what it means.

Yes, I will visit someone in the US who's a citizen. But when I applied for a visa, at that time my sister-in-law wanted to travel with me, but she seems to change her mind, so I have to travel alone. Will they deny my entry because she's not with me? I'm over 21 I can travel alone, I don't need her company. Why am I forced to travel with someone?

this annotation was made because of what you told the consular officer during your visa interivew.
    You also said you were going to spend 3 weeks in the US....asking for an extension, while legal, might make it look like you said one thing when in actuality you had something else on your mind. this will not help a second visa request.
    If you tell the INS inspector you want to stay more than 3 weeks, he or she will wonder because of the annotation. Best thing is to do what you say.

It's not a problem if I can stay just for 3 weeks, because it might be enough for my vacation.
    I want to make sure if they can deny my entry, just because my sister-in-law is not travelling with me? I have never been to the US, I don't want to overstay, I will have enough money for the trip, I have a letter of invitation from my US friend for 3 weeks, the only problem is that my sister-in-law can't be with me.

This notation by the Consular must have a reason. May be they considered that you did not qualify for visit visa whereas your sister-in-law did or may be she had travelled earlier also.

You should go to Consulate and get that remarks removed before planning to travel. This is not just a notation on the Visa, it is CONDITION for your Visa. If you will travel alone, you can be denied entry in the United States.

The time given to you on the Visa is for your entry into the United States.
    Good luck.