50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: DREAM Act (S. 1545)

Hi, I just came upon this article in the newsletter.

Dream Act, with Weakening Amendment, Moves through Senate Committee.

By marking up and passing the DREAM Act (S. 1545), the Senate Judiciary Committee took an important step to remove one of the barriers that deserving children face in their quest to attend colleges and legalize their status in the United States. The DREAM Act would return to the states the authority to determine who qualifies for in-state tuition. The bill also would legalize the status of these young people who meet certain criteria, including having good moral character and having lived in the U.S. for at least five years preceding the Act's passage.

"America benefits when all people have the opportunity to contribute to society and the economy. The DREAM Act will faciliate that opportunity for deserving kids, by removing some of the barriers to their attending college and gaining legal status. It not only makes economic sense, but it is the right thing to do," said Judith Golub, Senior Director of Advocacy and Public Affairs for the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

By a 16-3 bote, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the DREAM Act (Developmemt, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2003), despite the storng efforts of restrictionists on and off Capitol Hill to defeat this measure. However, the bill passed only after the Committee approved a damaging amendment sponosred by Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Charles Grassley (R-IA).

"AILA strongly opposes this amendment that whould make DREAM Act beneficiaries ineligible for federeal financial aid grants, such as Pell Grants, and eliminates the community service option as a way to lift their conditional residency status. We applaud Senator Durbin who spoke passionately in support of the bill and against this weakening amendment, "said John Estrella, AILA's Policy Analyst.

AILA urges the House to act on companion legislation, the Student Adjustment Act (H.R. 1684), introduced by Representatives Chris Cannon (R-UT), Howard Berman (D-CA), and Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA). AILA also urges President Bush to declare his support for this important legislation.

Well, I'm a foreign student myself who has been here for many years. This makes me very excited and brings me a hope.

Hi, I just came upon this article in the newsletter.

Dream Act, with Weakening Amendment, Moves through Senate Committee.

By marking up and passing the DREAM Act (S. 1545), the Senate Judiciary Committee took an important step to remove one of the barriers that deserving children face in their quest to attend colleges and legalize their status in the United States. The DREAM Act would return to the states the authority to determine who qualifies for in-state tuition. The bill also would legalize the status of these young people who meet certain criteria, including having good moral character and having lived in the U.S. for at least five years preceding the Act's passage.

"America benefits when all people have the opportunity to contribute to society and the economy. The DREAM Act will faciliate that opportunity for deserving kids, by removing some of the barriers to their attending college and gaining legal status. It not only makes economic sense, but it is the right thing to do," said Judith Golub, Senior Director of Advocacy and Public Affairs for the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

By a 16-3 bote, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the DREAM Act (Developmemt, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2003), despite the storng efforts of restrictionists on and off Capitol Hill to defeat this measure. However, the bill passed only after the Committee approved a damaging amendment sponosred by Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Charles Grassley (R-IA).

"AILA strongly opposes this amendment that whould make DREAM Act beneficiaries ineligible for federeal financial aid grants, such as Pell Grants, and eliminates the community service option as a way to lift their conditional residency status. We applaud Senator Durbin who spoke passionately in support of the bill and against this weakening amendment, "said John Estrella, AILA's Policy Analyst.

AILA urges the House to act on companion legislation, the Student Adjustment Act (H.R. 1684), introduced by Representatives Chris Cannon (R-UT), Howard Berman (D-CA), and Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA). AILA also urges President Bush to declare his support for this important legislation.

Well, I'm a foreign student myself who has been here for many years. This makes me very excited and brings me a hope.