ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



Immigration Daily

Chinese Immig. Daily

The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Extended I-551 what forms?

  1. #1
    If the marriage to USC is not finalized but we are able to file jointly I-751 however, the I-751 is denied what forms do we file to request the service center permission to finalize the divorce and come back with a waiver?

  2. #2
    If the marriage to USC is not finalized but we are able to file jointly I-751 however, the I-751 is denied what forms do we file to request the service center permission to finalize the divorce and come back with a waiver?

  3. #3
    You ask Immigration Judge for Continuance on your REMOVAL PROCEEDINGS to have your divorce finalized, however, is not 100% guaranteed that you Continuance will be granted.
    How is the situation with your husband going on?

  4. #4
    How do I go about asking Immigration Judge for continuance?
    How can INS just kick me out of here if I am nto divorced yet? I just do not understand this part. can you please explain.
    Husband will be moving out in January. My divorce will not be finalized by then so I can apply for a waiver.

  5. #5
    Don't be thinking to much ahead of things. I guess you ask Immigration Judge for contiunance when you are in front of him.

    USCIS will not 'kick you out' they will just put you in removal proceedings.

    Who is going to file for divorce? I thought you and your husband agreed to do not get a divorce until your I-751 is approved...

  6. #6
    Yes we agreed to that. But he told me that he will be moving and most likely in January 2004. If I put 2 different addresses down INS will want interviews. He signed our lease for the full year next year though.

    Well will INS give me a number to call so I can have my case heard in front of an Immigration Judge? I would like to request continuance if i am put for Removal proceedings. There is a problem with that too. How long will I be in removal proceedings?

  7. #7
    Aguila I really appreciate everything you have been telling me. Its so stressful and what a limbo we live in.

  8. #8

    You will not be going to Immigration Court unless your I-751 will be denied... you have great chances of having your I-751 approved before getting divorced. Putting 2 different addresses will not necessarily trigger an interview. Couples can move too! Don't think about removal proceedings yet, you have a long way to go before that.

    File your I-751 jointly and then if you get divorce in the middle file a new I-751 based on a waiver provision.

  9. #9
    Did you go through the same thing I am going? Or are you an attorney? I keep it in mind that this is what I should do-file it jointly and not get a divorce. So many say otherwise. I am going with my common sense which is the same one as yours.
    Its just that if my I-751 is denied, I would need to know what are the steps I should take. I actually wonder, what would happen if he decided not to come to the interview. We are married. Either one INS would postpone (I do not think they would deny it just like that( makes little sense) or It would be sufficient if I showed all the bonafide documents they requested.
    But you are right I have a few months on me. I need to be prepared for the worst. I am trying to think more positive. You give me some strength.


  10. #10

    I am going through what you might be going in the future.

    To give you a little bit of my background, I filed Jointly I-751 on January 2003 with VERMONT. In April 2003 my wife filed for Divorce, she threathen me not to answer her complaint etc etc, but I did and now the divorce case is pending until March 2004, still my I-751 will be adjudicated after March taking into account the pace for processing I-751's at VERMONT.

    I will most likely have to file a WAIVER I-751, or appear at an interview for my JOINT one and ammend my jointly filed for a waiver one. To qualify for the waiver you must be divorced, and that is the tricky thing in your case if you are called for an interview he does not want to help. If that is the case you would have to somehow try to rescheduled the interview, and file immediately for divorced, most likely you will not be done with your divorce before the interview or you might it dependes on the State you reside and the issues of the divorce (alimony, child custody, etc) but at least yo can show up at the interview with some papers showing that a divorce has been filed.

Similar Threads

  1. Extended Review
    By cee in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 11:04 PM
  2. AP and EAD need to be
    By merlot2003 in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 11:35 AM
  3. Extended Stay
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2002, 11:22 PM
  4. extended stay
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2002, 08:58 AM
  5. Anyone knows if 245 i will be extended or not?
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2002, 07:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: