50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage with a twist or two

I am USC, boyfriend is European. He came here 5 years ago on a work visa. When his visa expired he went back home and came back here on a tourist visa. That visa expired 4 months ago. He has been working since he got here (his employer loves him and has no idea that his work visa expired). Since he has been here he has had two brushes with the law. The first was for posession (he had a peice of a joint in his car) that went no where - no court date, nothing. Then he got arrested for DUI a couple of weeks ago. He has a court date coming up in 2 weeks.

My question are...how will this affect his application for citizenship? He applied for n600 already.

I am USC, boyfriend is European. He came here 5 years ago on a work visa. When his visa expired he went back home and came back here on a tourist visa. That visa expired 4 months ago. He has been working since he got here (his employer loves him and has no idea that his work visa expired). Since he has been here he has had two brushes with the law. The first was for posession (he had a peice of a joint in his car) that went no where - no court date, nothing. Then he got arrested for DUI a couple of weeks ago. He has a court date coming up in 2 weeks.

My question are...how will this affect his application for citizenship? He applied for n600 already.

Oops! posted too soon!

We want to get married, will his brushes with the law send up red flags to the INS interviewer?

how can he apply for a n-600 if he's a visa overstayer? n-600 is a certificate of naturlization and a felony for someone to apply for if they're not eligable to do so . I think with his record (drug and dui problems) and what he's doing right now (even worse criminal behaviour) he's on a fast track to be deported and barred permanently. But assuming that you're unsure about the n-600 you will most definitly run into some problems if married and trying to adjust his status even if his "brushes with the law" are minor or not strong enough to make him deportable at this time sooner or later he will probably do worse things.

acelaw is right about the n600 form....he cant apply for it if he is out of status. if you plan of getting married then maybe he can adjust status after that. His "brushes" with the law will be looked at. I wish you good luck. and for your info....acelaw hates everyone who is out of status, or illegaly here.