free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: How do we fight IIRIRA?

Okay,

So this horrible law passed in 1996 is keeping me from my husband and I need to fight it! How can I do that? My husband made a false claim to citizenship when he was caught by INS in 1998. I make no pretense about the fact that he did something wrong but his punishment (and consequently mine) does not fit the crime. By barring him from the country permanently, I am forced to give up my own citizenship in order to stay true to my matrimonial vows. How do I fight this rediculous law that separates families? I know I am not the only one affected by this.

Okay,

So this horrible law passed in 1996 is keeping me from my husband and I need to fight it! How can I do that? My husband made a false claim to citizenship when he was caught by INS in 1998. I make no pretense about the fact that he did something wrong but his punishment (and consequently mine) does not fit the crime. By barring him from the country permanently, I am forced to give up my own citizenship in order to stay true to my matrimonial vows. How do I fight this rediculous law that separates families? I know I am not the only one affected by this.

Just curious, I can't really offer a lot of help, but exactly what did your husband do to "claim citizenship?" Was it purely verbal? How long did he make this claim? You are right, it appears to be an extremely harsh penalty (even for the INS - and some of their laws are pretty difficult to top) for a simple lie/miscommunication. Can you provide any more information?

Immigration laws are changin everyday, but th support grou[ os for that to fight against that hardship law... I am in the same situationthan you, but I am just looking around what is new on the immigration laws. I can understand because I fave the same feelings but if you give up never are going to be changes here fight send letter to the congressman people said that he was so young. go to the media at least ayou are doing something good for your husband and for others

Laws are not just changed by themselves... in American democracy, if you get enough people (and sometimes enough money ;-) together, laws can be changed easily as long as they correlate with the U.S. Constititution.

In my opinion (and this is going too deep into philoshopy), but most recent immigration laws are rather unconstitutional (remeber the clause... that everyone has the right to pursue happyness :-) and many people are criminalized for minor mistakes.

In 200 years from now, then there are no borders on this planet left (hopefully), people will not understand how people of a certain area (industrialized nations) could claim sole access to it and how they could demand that other citizens of this planet weren't aloud to move about like them.

Peace, it's all going to be alright someday and we'll be lucky if we witness such progress yet in our lifetime; at present we as humans seem to be on the intellectual level of a self-centered toddler who doesn't want to share the entire playground with other children...

My husband was caught entering the country illegally and was asked if he was a citizen. He had lived in the U.S. for three years previously. Unfortunately for him, he said yes, but then immediately recanted when he realized what they meant. I am still in college and it is extremely difficult, as I am sure it is for anyone else who is separated from their loved ones. I am desperately praying for any solution. I agree that people shouldn't go around saying that they are American Citizens, but I don't think a lifetime ban makes any sense. He is a good man and we give rapists less of a sentence than that! If you know of anything I can do, please tell me. I appreciate also the kind words and encouragement. It seems so few people care about this kind of situation.

Hi. I don't know if it is that people don't care about your situation, but more like they don't know what to say to help out. It just seems like such a dreadful situation. I pray that everything works out for you and that the laws change or that there is some way in which you can make the INS see the light.

I truly wish you the best of luck and if there is anything that I can help you with let me know.

In the meantime lets all work on getting together a letter or something to send en mass to the congresspeople.