free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Work Permit + SSN

Hello,

This is an inquiry to find out what rights a person has after he or she receives a work permit in the State of California.

If I am not mistaken, a person who receives a work permit also receives a SSN. But this SSN states "for employment only," right?

My first question is, does a person have a right to drive with such a SSN? Will a driver's license application be rejected if a SSN states "for employment only"?

My second question is, does a person have a right to start his or her own business with a work permit? If so, are there any limitations (please specify)?

My third and final question is, must a person apply for another SSN when he or she eventually receives permanent resident status (i.e., gets the green card).

Thank you.

Hello,

This is an inquiry to find out what rights a person has after he or she receives a work permit in the State of California.

If I am not mistaken, a person who receives a work permit also receives a SSN. But this SSN states "for employment only," right?

My first question is, does a person have a right to drive with such a SSN? Will a driver's license application be rejected if a SSN states "for employment only"?

My second question is, does a person have a right to start his or her own business with a work permit? If so, are there any limitations (please specify)?

My third and final question is, must a person apply for another SSN when he or she eventually receives permanent resident status (i.e., gets the green card).

Thank you.

You must be out of your mind. How long you have been in the United States? and What Class of visa you have.
    1. SSN is for your employment only No employer will give you a job without SSN.
    2. You can start a business, You will first have to Register in your State, get License, State, and Federal Income texas ID.
    3. No you do not need a new SSN the Administation will replace your old card with the new one to show your status. Make sure you file your taxes every year.

Your SS card wil not say "For employment only". It will say "not valid for employment without INS [USCIS] authorization". All SS cards do say that they are not to be used as ID, but many motor vehicles agencies do, in fact, use them for ID and require them to apply for licenses. As far as I know every MV will except a SS card with such a notation. Generally MV wants proof of "valid" status. Work authorization is sufficient proof of status. Of course, they probably will not accept the SS card *without& the EAD.

You do not need to get a new card once you have residency, but you can apply for another card if you would like one without the notation. The number will remain the same.

Hi,

I am not out of my mind. I am just not very knowledgeable about immigration laws (this inquiry is for someone else).

So let me see if I got this right. When a person gets employment authorization, a work permit is given in addition to a SSN. And this SSN is no different than a permanent resident's SSN? The reason I ask is because I thought SSN's are given only to resident aliens. Having a work permit doesn't always mean the person has permanent resident status.

So with employment authorization the person has a right to apply for a driver's license? The reason I ask this question is because I thought the state only issued licenses to resident aliens. So why do immigrant workers protest they do not have a right to drive?

The EAD is the work permit (same thing) in this case.

Types Of Social Security Cards

1. The card most people have shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. It is issued to U.S. citizens, or people lawfully admitted to the U.S. with permanent Department of Homeland Security (DHS) work authorization.

2. The second card bears the legend, " NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT." and is issued to people from other countries lawfully admitted to the U.S. without work authorization from DHS; and who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.

3. The third card bears the legend, " VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION." and is issued to people lawfully admitted to the U.S. on a temporary basis; and with DHS (formerly INS) authorization to work.

People with the second or third type of SS card can apply for a new one (same # but the "not valid for work" caveat is removed) when they are permanent residents.

California DMV accept the following to satisfy legal presence requirements:

U.S. Birth Certificate
    U.S. Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad
    Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
    INS American Indian Card
    Birth Certificate or passport issued from a U.S. territory
    U.S. Passport
    U.S. Identification Card
    U.S. Military Identification Cards
    Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)
    Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
    Northern Mariana Card
    Permanent Resident Card
    Temporary Resident Identification Card
    Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
    Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority
    Employment Authorization Card
    A valid foreign passport with a "Processed for I-551" stamp
    Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
    Refugee travel document
    "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
    Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(5), HP or PIP Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)
    Immigration judge's order granting asylum
    Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
    Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)

A note- I believe that type number "2" above was eliminated with the invention of the Tax Identification number about 6 years ago.

You are correct in your understanding that an EAD ("work permit") is *not* given to permanent residents ("green card holders"). In fact the EAD is taken away when the passport is stamped with the I-551 ("green card"). However as long as you have the EAD you are free to work or open your own business. Other types of income do not require EAD- such as passive or investment income, but they do require a Tax ID.

Most importantly- your question about "why do immigrant workers complain about not having ther right to drive?" It is the *illegal* immigrant workers that are unable to get a license in many states. NC just released that it will now join the ranks of states that will require proof of status before one can apply for a license. Every state will issue a license to an immigrant with work authorization.

I got the information regarding the 3 types of cards at the Social Security Administration site.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#types

Maybe they haven't updated their web site in 6 years? Seems unlikely but who knows?