50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: valid marriage reason

I am a US citizen and my husband was a international student on f1 visa.
    We've been married for a year now.
    prior to that we were engaged.

But we decided to secretly get married without telling our parents.
    one of the reasons we got married was because
    we couldn't get married (for our parents) unless he graduated, but with international rates at school its very expensive and it was taking too long so we got married so he could pay in state tuition and could graduate sooner.
    Another problem is we live in two different states because of school.

We've always knew we are going to get married.
    so my question is will INS think this is a invalid marriage because he got benefit from it?

I am a US citizen and my husband was a international student on f1 visa.
    We've been married for a year now.
    prior to that we were engaged.

But we decided to secretly get married without telling our parents.
    one of the reasons we got married was because
    we couldn't get married (for our parents) unless he graduated, but with international rates at school its very expensive and it was taking too long so we got married so he could pay in state tuition and could graduate sooner.
    Another problem is we live in two different states because of school.

We've always knew we are going to get married.
    so my question is will INS think this is a invalid marriage because he got benefit from it?

I think the INS will not look on the validity of the marriage, rather, if at all, it will focus on its purpose, that is, is it fix marriage or not.do'nt you worry, i believe your marriage is for love and in good faith.

The INS may think it is an invalid marriage because you don't live together.

Most of the time an immigrant can't pay in state tuition until he gets his green card and is a perm resident for 1 year, unless his wife is a resident of that state for at least 1 year. You don't mention your timeline. Does he already have a green card?

My husband has been in texas for 6 years.
    and his school did give him in state tuiton because he showed his pending file for naturalization. He doesn't have his green card he only has his work permit and visa authorization.

We did live together once we had gotten engaged but then i went to do my masters in california.
    and i am done now but i remain in california so i can live with my parents and save up money (free rent and food!).

But he will remain in texas do his masters.
    and even when we do get offically married in a year, he might still have to be in texas to finish his masters.

So i am just worried that INS will see this marriage as a fraud. But its definetly a love marriage. He and I visit each other as often as we can. And our phone bills will prove taht its love as well.

But I just am worried how INS will see this all.

My case is kind of like yours too, both me and my wife are living in different states as of yet. I am currently unemloyed and living with my brother and she is living with her mom as with her pay she cannot afford a place of her own. But we eventually plan to move together.

I talked to the lawyer about this. The lawyer told me that there is no law that says that you have to be living together for your i-130 to be approved. The only thing is you must have a lot of proof that the marraige is genuine.

My lawyer told me a few things that help a lot. I am on her health Insurance and a beneficiary on her life insurance. We have joint checkings and savings account. We have credit cards together. My apartment lease under both of our names. We both have our names on utility bills.

I would suggest that you seek help through an attorney and perhaps the attorney can accompany you to your interview. The aatorney cannot answer questions on your behalf but would be gret help if there are further complications in your case or if the INS officer asks something irrelevant!

Now, I am confused. How does he have a pending file for naturalization if he has not even gotten a green card yet? I was not aware that a person could become a citizen with out first becoming a permanent resident. This is interesting.

The INS will question the living arrangements, but if you can prove everything you just posted, you should not be rejected.