50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To use an attorney or not, This is my dilemna.

I need some input. No bull! I have been told by my lawyer, that we have strong basis for MTR and because I applied and received an I-130 before the deadline, we are also eligible to "adjust status" also. My Q is this: Use an attorney or do the MTR myself? I already did all the hard work. The attorney wants $2000 just to start and then there's no guarentee that he won't want more. Input, please.

I need some input. No bull! I have been told by my lawyer, that we have strong basis for MTR and because I applied and received an I-130 before the deadline, we are also eligible to "adjust status" also. My Q is this: Use an attorney or do the MTR myself? I already did all the hard work. The attorney wants $2000 just to start and then there's no guarentee that he won't want more. Input, please.

use an attorney, especially a commie pinko liberal mouthpiece, who will sell out the country to anyone with total disregard to...everything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by concerned citizen:
    I need some input. No bull! I have been told by my lawyer, that we have strong basis for MTR and because I applied and received an I-130 before the deadline, we are also eligible to "adjust status" also. My Q is this: Use an attorney or do the MTR myself? I already did all the hard work. The attorney wants $2000 just to start and then there's no guarentee that he won't want more. Input, please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say it depends on your case. What is the basis of it? If you can write diligently and stick with the facts, i.e., make USCIS aware of all the points wrong and why they should reopen and reconsider I'd say go for it. The motion to reopen should directly dispute the reason(s) why it was denied and give the right reasons, laws and legal options why they should grant it. Don't give them any emotional stuff - hard-core facts based in law only. Because USCIS officers, can only go by what's in their books.

If it is not a clear cut case, I don't think they would do the research on how to approve it, you'd have to give them the case law so they can just go and look it up.

Argue your heart out in that motion!!
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

MTRs usually fail unless there is an agency error. Don't waste your money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by federale86:
    MTRs usually fail unless there is an agency error. Don't waste your money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I am not sure about the usual, but I do have to tell you, that if they do not grant, i.e., they deny again, it will then exhaust the administrative appeal route, meaning if you are deportable, you will be issued an NTA (Notice to Appear). I motioned to reopen and they partially granted mine. I mean in that motion they granted that I am illegible for 245i based on my ex's old I-130. I was angry as hell that I had to spent $800 for the motion plus lawyer fees to point out the agencies error omitting the fact that I was an approved I-130 prior to the Sunset Date of 1998.

The first time around they denied without any regard to that old I-130. My motion did bring me one step forward however.

You gonna have to tell us more detail about the case. Did USCIS acknowledge in their denial you can adjust status and how?
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Federale: what the **** do we care if he wastes his money? this guy has a shady past. He should get an atty. a real extortionist...err...a real good one who's going to promise him the sun and the moon. Let me be the first one to say GOOD BYE!!!

one more important thing, we need S12 input on this one, he'll clarify all doubts

I'd suggest hiring a lawyer, just to be safe you really receive your visa...all this legal-talk can be very confusing...