50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I get married or shouldn't I ?

Hello .
    my friend and I decided to get married .he has a green card but I overstayed my j-1 visa 2 years ago . i 'm afraid that i won't be eligable to get visa since I overstayed visa or it will take a long long time until i will be legal again . I don't want to go back to my country (eastern europe) ..so i don't know if we should get married or rather not , is it conveninent...
    Please help me if you guys have any information about this..
    thanks
    bubu

Hello .
    my friend and I decided to get married .he has a green card but I overstayed my j-1 visa 2 years ago . i 'm afraid that i won't be eligable to get visa since I overstayed visa or it will take a long long time until i will be legal again . I don't want to go back to my country (eastern europe) ..so i don't know if we should get married or rather not , is it conveninent...
    Please help me if you guys have any information about this..
    thanks
    bubu

First of all your friend who is a green card holder can not help you.Spouses of green card holders must wait years before coming to the US. You are only pardoned if you are married to a US citizen.

Secondly unless you are marrying for love, you idea is illegal.

Maybe someonel else on the board can assist you with adjusting status, or perhps you can speak to a lawyer on what you options may be.

Goodluck.

Now you understand why people from Romania have such a difficult time getting visas, the abuse rate is far too high...sounds like you were a "camp counselor" who dropped out of school to stay in the US, and now wish to enter into a marriage of convenience to stay. But green card holders do not have the same privileges as US citizens.

I was just looking back at posts from days long gone and unsurprisingly, things never change........you still have the same assholes trying to con their way into this country.

I cannot beleive you can actually come here and place judgment upon people that you have never met.

Paddy - aren't you the same person who in another post said that you have dual Irish and UK citizenship and have no intention of giving up either? Well, I know that dual citizenship with those countries is considered acceptable... but I really haven't heard about triple citizenship... have you?

Secondly, you are an embarrassment to any Irish ancestors that you (and I) may have - those that fought for Irish independence (and understood oppression and unjust laws) and people that fled from the potato famine (trust me they were not as welcome here as you are today!!)

Perhaps you have chosen the name Paddy, not because you are Irish, but because it was considered a slur, and you don't really like the Irish that dared to immigrate the US when they were not wanted here!

Bubu - if you are in love get married... do not let US laws stop that... it does take a long time for an LPR to request their spouse, but LPR's are also eventually eligible for citizenship.

Also, it may go quicker since you are already here.

Finally, in case it is necessary LPR's are able to file for the I-601 waiver (for an overstay)

I would recommend that you check with a lawyer or with an immigration official - being unlawfully here does not stop you from being protected if you talk to a lawyer!!!

Don't forget that he/she may be subjected to the 2 yr residency requirement since he/she came on a J-1. Even when the LPR friend eventually becomes a citizen.

Marriage is a big decision and there are a lot of things that you should take into account when deciding whether to marry someone or not, but immigration is definately not one of those things. If you want to spend the rest of your life with the person, through the better and the worse, than marry him. Getting married doesn't always help immigration situations, but it doesn't usually make them any worse, either. Don't let the BCIS control your love life!! I have to deal with a lot of crap because my husband is illegal, but I still don't regret marrying him, because I love him and he is a good husband dedicated to keeping our marriage healthy. Immigration didn't have anything to do with us getting married. We knew before tying the knot that he is subject to the 10 year bar etc etc etc. Love transcends bureaucratic boundaries.
    Have a nice day

I wanted to reply but couldn't say anything better than Gluhbirne already did.
    Good luck <bubu>

Well Spouse, you get my vote for the award of most ignorant, uninformed and dumbass post of 2004.......yes you even beat the front runners Michael and NP!!!!!

Well where do I start....first of all either you are as blind as bat or your illiteracy knows no bounds. Where in Bubu's post does it mention that she wants to marry for love?.....that's right ****ING NO WHERE....In fact she paints a completely different picture simply by using the word "convenient"...even the person who replied to her picked up on that........did bubu send any additional replies to elaborate further? .......no because she realized that someone had caught her out.......love is never convenient unless you are trying to commit visa fraud......spouse your imagination is running wild so please stick it back in your anal cavity where it belongs along with your brains and ignorance.

To Gluhbirne, Dom and E. why don't you actually take the time to read what I said in my post. I was making a simple point that "things never seem to change" especially when it comes to possible visa fraud as is possible in the case of bubu. LOOK AT THE DATE OF BUBU'S POST........so E you were encouraging someone to break immigration law that has by now either gone back to eastern europe or has found another "friend" to marry who is a US citizen or has joined the mexican underground.

Right back to the Spouse.....My god your imagination is rampant now..I had to laugh at this.....

".... you are an embarrassment to any Irish ancestors that you (and I) may have"

How can you make such a pathetic statement like this and not even know anything about your own ancestors. For all we know, Nasa is currently looking for evidence of your ancestors on Mars. Your ignorance shocks me.

As for me, my mother who is Irish, traced her ancestors back well past the era of the famine.....and what the **** do you know about Ireland and its history anyway.........have you ever set foot on irish soil....I doubt it....you probably haven't set foot outside of your swamp let alone fly to the shores of the emerald isle.

With regards to triple citizenship it is irrelevant as long as I use my US citizenship when i get it, as the first and foremost citizenship. My situation is not unusal in the UK where my mother is Irish and my father is British thus allowing me to hold dual nationality. Also a lot of the irish in Northern Ireland have dual nationality so the idea of triple nationality is not new Spouse but of course you would know all that.....NOT
    I think had I gone to Canada and got citizenship and then moved to the US and applied for citizenship then I might of had a problem with the USCIS.

Anyway I am very proud of my Irish and British roots so when I use the name Paddy on this board it is because that is my actual nick name that my friends call me and not a slur Spouse........god your bullshit spouse is completely out of control.........perhaps we ought to call you amoeba because you obviously hate your roots.