free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SSN Backlog

My wife and I(USC) submitted our forms I-485, I-130 fingerprints the whole deal in Sept. She got her Work Authorization card in Sept. but she still hasn't recieved SSN. SSA says they are waiting on authorization from INS, they said others are waiting since August. We have our I-485 interview this month but I haven't been able to do much for my wife without SSN. We are happily married but with out much joint documentation.

Are others caught up in this backlog between INS and SSA ?

My wife and I(USC) submitted our forms I-485, I-130 fingerprints the whole deal in Sept. She got her Work Authorization card in Sept. but she still hasn't recieved SSN. SSA says they are waiting on authorization from INS, they said others are waiting since August. We have our I-485 interview this month but I haven't been able to do much for my wife without SSN. We are happily married but with out much joint documentation.

Are others caught up in this backlog between INS and SSA ?

Your wife can't have the SSN unless she have the "green card". With the "green card" in her hand she has to go to the local SS Office to apply for the new SSN.
    After you do this, you will have the card in a week.
    So you have to wait a little bit longer.

Then why did they give her the Work Authorization card already? I was told that's all she needed.

With EAD, you can get both SSN and the Driver's license, you don't need to wait till you get the green card...

It doesn't make any sense, does it? Why are they giving your wife a working permit if she won't be able to work without a SSN?

It make sense. They have the adjustment of status interview (I-485) this month. What happens if she don't get approved?
    She does have the approve to work. Tell the employer that the wife will have the SSN shortly.
    In any case you will have the SSN after getting the green card.

Tseug does not know what s/he is talking about... sorry, but it's true.

tseuG, you are stupid.

It shouldn't be called a working authorization then, if she won't be able to work... The employer would care less if she will get a SSN soon. It is not employer's problem... And not every employer would allow her to work without a SSN by the way...

When one gets an EAD from the INS, s/he can go to an SSA local office to get an SSN valid for work. While it may be true that the SSA may take a little longer after Sep, 11 to issue an SSN (since they may want to verify directly with INS whether you really are eligible for it) it is by all means possible to be issued an SSN.