50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: travel after I-140 aproval?

My family and I have L1 and L2 visa's, we applied for I-140 about a year ago and are hopeful it will be approved soon. Will we be able to travel to Canada while waiting for the rest of the "green card" to be finalized? Our lawyer says we can apply for a travel document, but our friends say it's almost never approved and could be a couple of years before we could travel. Does anyone have a guess as to how long it takes after the I-140 until things are complete?

My family and I have L1 and L2 visa's, we applied for I-140 about a year ago and are hopeful it will be approved soon. Will we be able to travel to Canada while waiting for the rest of the "green card" to be finalized? Our lawyer says we can apply for a travel document, but our friends say it's almost never approved and could be a couple of years before we could travel. Does anyone have a guess as to how long it takes after the I-140 until things are complete?

the rules are murky. If you are referring to travel while your adjustment of status is pending (filed after the I-140 is approved), you may travel with original I-485 receipts as long as you still hold valid L-1/L-2 visas. Or, if you want to be on the safe side, you may wait for advance parole documents, which allow you to travel, and are filed along with the other adjustment of status documents. Supposedly, it takes about 60 days to obtain an advance parole document. Your friend is not correct. It does take years to get a green card (although in employment-based cases it may take 1-2 years), but an advance parole is relatively quicker. Again, many law firms where I have worked have always advised L-1 holders that they may travel while the adjustment is pending using original I-485 receipt notices and the valid L-1 visa. Advance paroles are almost always approved in employment-based cases, especially if your lawyer's practice is to include a personal statement (signed by you) that explains why you need to travel (such as business necessity, for pleasure, for vacation, etc.).

NYCImmParalegal:

I post something directed to you on the I-751 APPROVED WITH/WITHOUT INTERVIEW check it out.

Advanced Parole is what you want to investigate... By the way, make sure you request a multi admission advanced parole not a single 'use' one. That way you will be able to travel to/from Canada for a year. OTherwise, you will have to go get a new Advanced Paeole everytime you wish to travel.

I am not sure how much it has changed, but when I got mine a few years ago, they would not issue the document unless you had specific travel plans (tickets or itenerary in hand) but that is pretty easy to 'bluff' out (We are planning to drive, etc...)

ARQU