free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marriage / Registration Question

My bf and I are getting married this week. He came to this country 4-5 years ago on a visitor visa, we have been dating since.

He belongs to group 3 countries for special registration for which the deadline is Feb 21st.

My question is if we file papers to INS this week and he registers afterwards, what are the chances for him to get detained and arrested? How to free him if they put him into deportation proceedings?

Please help!

My bf and I are getting married this week. He came to this country 4-5 years ago on a visitor visa, we have been dating since.

He belongs to group 3 countries for special registration for which the deadline is Feb 21st.

My question is if we file papers to INS this week and he registers afterwards, what are the chances for him to get detained and arrested? How to free him if they put him into deportation proceedings?

Please help!

Its good question. No one can say for sure if he is not detained.
    If you don't file then its sure he will be detained and sure he will be deported.
    If you file and get the receipt before that date( proof of filing), he can be detained but there is a chance he will not be deported but bond and released.

Bond and released, does it mean the person will be given a tna #.. what happens to a person if they are given a tna #?

Bond and released, does it mean the person will be given a nta #.. what happens to a person if they are given a nta#?

Mohan,

Did you mean before Jan 21st? or before Jan 13th when the registration is actually starting?

"If you file and get the receipt before that date( proof of filing), he can be detained but there is a chance he will not be deported but bond and released."

Thanks in advance.

I think they send the recipt with 2 weeks after submiting the application. i still dont understand the reasoing for being bonded.. does it mean you have to go to court afterward?

When You file there is two way to file , by hand, OR by mail.
    If you file by hand ( not possible in your case because he will be detained right away) INS will give you receipt of fees paid its same as grocery store receipt and forms you submitted will be mentioned on this receipt. Actual INS receipt with 13 digits will come laters in the mail.
    This register receipt is enoug proof for filing.
    in the other hand if you file by mail, which you will do, receipt will be send by mail. I don't know if you will get the receipt in time, there is big mess in the INS these days, lots of backlogs are created due to merge and application halt, and regisrtations, technical upgrade of the ins system etc etc.
    Keep in mind, If you think that you will send check and copy of check and mailing receipt will be enough to show as proof? Due to the zero tolerance policy it not enough proof of filing, You may get this answer from some back dated attorney.

Mohan et all.

We are getting married tommorow at 11 AM finally after four years toghether.

We also hired an attorney as there are chances for him to be detained. Our attorney recommended us to get a certified copy of Marriage Certificate from civil court judge before he sends that to the records so that we can file the paper work ASAP.

Offcourse, we will not be going in person to file the papers but we are mailing the file by overnight. I hope that we get 13 digit receipt in-time of registration. Does anyone knows how long does it usually takes? Will it be acceptable proof for him to not to be detained? Also, I heard that INS will stamp "245 Adjustment of Status" on his passport will that be enough proof? I am too worried for his safety.

Please help!

my attorney has a client who is in the group 2, they just got married 10 days ago and his deadline is comming on the 10th of Jan. In our state it take 3 days for the marrige license, 7 day's after you get married you get the copy from the state, 7 is if you go to the capitol and pick it up and then you can file in the INS. By friday I will find out what happend to the client, that is if they arrest him or bond or what ever. the attorney has checked with other attorneys in the area and she says that this would be the first one of this type in that office. let's hope for the best.. I keep u updated ..good luck and congrats !!!:-)