50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Immigration Holds

A very good friend of mine was convicted of larcany from a person and has served two years in the state prision system. He is originally from Algeria and moved here years ago and recieved asylum status. Now that his sentence is almost completed INS has a hold on him. What are the chances that he is going to be deported to Algeria?

I have the INS reason number but I haven't been able to find out anywhere what it means I would really appreciate it if someone could help me figure that out too!

...his chances of being deported are - fortunately - excellent. I guess that your friend didn't fully appreciate the opportunity of living in America...and now won't have the chance to disrespect this country again.

Because your friend is a foreign criminal, USCIS has placed an immigration hold on him. This means that he will NOT be released at the end of his prison term...instead, he will be transferred to federal custody for deportation.

Even if he has Asylum status? people make mistakes...

I think your friend should consult an immigration lawyer. His problem can not be resolved at this blog site. People do make mistakes but there is alway a cost.

He has a lawyer and he tells me don't worry hun everything will be okay I'll be home in 6 months tops... I want to know what I'm looking at though... I want to know if my friend is coming home or if he's going to Algeria

Originally posted by MBsGirl8187:
    He has a lawyer and he tells me don't worry hun everything will be okay I'll be home in 6 months tops... I want to know what I'm looking at though... I want to know if my friend is coming home or if he's going to Algeria
    Hello, your friend is truly coming home. Try to read between the lines. I am sure he will be home in 6 months all in peace. It all depends on your understanding of what home means to you and your friend. Peace!

Sorry SundevilUSA, USCIS does not put holds on people. ICE and CBP put holds on people in prison.

He will be deported, unless he re-applies for asylum or uses the Convention Against Torture.

Is he claiming he is a Islamist that will be persecuted or is he just claiming he will be persecuted for some other reason?