50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long to apply for naturalization?

Hi,I received my 10 y GC 3 y ago,I just got married to an American Citizen 06/2009).When I can apply for my Citizenship?I really appreciate if someone can give this info.Thanks a lot!

Hi,I received my 10 y GC 3 y ago,I just got married to an American Citizen 06/2009).When I can apply for my Citizenship?I really appreciate if someone can give this info.Thanks a lot!

Depending on how you got your GC will depend when you can apply. If through marriage to a USC or military service, then it's 3yrs or 5yrs through any other way. You can apply 90 days prior to your anniversary, so 3 or 5yrs minus 90 days.

US Naturalization
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Hi Leena and welcome,

I would think since your green card was not marriage based, you will still need to wait to the five year anniversary of the issuance of your green card (you can apply 90 days before the five year mark).

Hopefully, if I am wrong, someone will come along and correct me.

Good luck!

Just want to add...

The anniversary of the Green card is from when you either received the Conditional one or the permanent 10yr one whichever you got first.(not sure how you got your GC).

So if you got your conditional one 5 yrs ago (if applicable), you count from the date you received that one and count time toward applying for Citizenship.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

That's true, the only date that's important is what's on the card even if you had an interview months before.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Thank you all!!!I really appreciate all info, I got my GC due to Asylum, refugee 3y ago.

Filing for citizenship if permanent status was acquired by marriage and if you are still together is a 3yr wait. Any other grounds of green card acquisition including if you are no longer in the marriage through which you got it (assuming you got it in a marriage) is a 5yr wait from issue date.

I hope this is clear enough.

If you have received you LPR Status 3 years from now, then you will have to wait one year and few months...
    Total time required for Citizenship is five years from the date of issuance of your LPR Status...You have already completed 3 years, now you need only 21 months to file your
    N-400...

leena got the information ...

I would like to add that I have not found anywhere that if one wishes to apply for a naturalization based on a 3-year rule, that PR status had to be acquired by marriage...

the requirements are:
    1)Are currently married to and living with a U.S. citizen;
    and
    2) Have been married to and living with that same U.S.
    citizen for the past 3 years;
    and
    3) Your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the past 3 years.