free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mine and son's applications

Hi all, new here, glad i found website! Nutshell, i have been here for 30 yrs have a son adpopted
    in korea, given a green card at 2yrs old.
    Is 27 and still not a citizen. I am still not a citizen, have an intense fear of taking tests!! Have filled out applications, but when son was 16 got into trouble with 3 other louts and was charged with robbery, probation was sentence (completed). In va all juvenile records are sealed, and one of the requirements in the application work sheet, is to include certified court copy of disposition of charges. Have called INS and court, court says it's va law that records can only be released to another government agency, and INS requires that we provide them. Dunno where to go with this. Have made appointment with immigration lawyer for 19th nov, the thought of my son being deported after being here for 22 years is destroying me. All this, and i know it's our fault for not taking care of this much much sooner, but his green card was supposed to have been updated when he reached 14, when we got the green card for him, it was so precious to us,(since adopting him in Korea was traumatic enough) we put it away in a safe place, and never saw the reverse side of it, telling us about the 14yrs old thingy. On top of that, lor, I do go don't I ? I went home last year, and when i came back thru immigration, they clipped the corner of my green card, and gave me forms to apply for another. Since the fee for that was as much as the citizenship application fee, i decided to go the citizenship route
    anyone out there with experience similar to ours? losing hair over this!!
    Would be so grateful for some help looking on the bright side!! cuppa

Hi all, new here, glad i found website! Nutshell, i have been here for 30 yrs have a son adpopted
    in korea, given a green card at 2yrs old.
    Is 27 and still not a citizen. I am still not a citizen, have an intense fear of taking tests!! Have filled out applications, but when son was 16 got into trouble with 3 other louts and was charged with robbery, probation was sentence (completed). In va all juvenile records are sealed, and one of the requirements in the application work sheet, is to include certified court copy of disposition of charges. Have called INS and court, court says it's va law that records can only be released to another government agency, and INS requires that we provide them. Dunno where to go with this. Have made appointment with immigration lawyer for 19th nov, the thought of my son being deported after being here for 22 years is destroying me. All this, and i know it's our fault for not taking care of this much much sooner, but his green card was supposed to have been updated when he reached 14, when we got the green card for him, it was so precious to us,(since adopting him in Korea was traumatic enough) we put it away in a safe place, and never saw the reverse side of it, telling us about the 14yrs old thingy. On top of that, lor, I do go don't I ? I went home last year, and when i came back thru immigration, they clipped the corner of my green card, and gave me forms to apply for another. Since the fee for that was as much as the citizenship application fee, i decided to go the citizenship route
    anyone out there with experience similar to ours? losing hair over this!!
    Would be so grateful for some help looking on the bright side!! cuppa

P.S. Anyone know the average cost of lawyer fees for Naturalization. Do they require retainer?

Cuppa t:

Think this might give you some comfort until you get to the lawyer - (GO TO THE LAWYER) This is from a book that I have:

"A juvenile court disposition is not a conviction for immigration purposes."

Your son should be "okay" if the case was in juvi court. But you need to get legal advice & assistance because sometimes USCIS/ICE "get it wrong" and try to deport. A good immigration lawyer is necessary if you have a checkered past - like your son does. Let your lawyer advise both of you and walk you through the mine field.

Okle Celt

[This message was edited by Okie Celt on November 13, 2003 at 12:31 AM.]

Oh Okie, thank you so much for that info, It has eased my mind a little. We have an appointment with a lawyer on 19th, she was evidently a former dept of justice, board of immigration appeals. We are hoping she will know how to work the system. Again, thankyou so much, so kind of yu. cuppa

Cuppa t:

Hope what I posted helps till you can get to your 11-19-03 appointment. Sounds like you found a super attorney. Are you saying that she was a judge on the BIA?

Love your member name! Where are you from?

Okie Celt

Can't say for sure, found her in the yellow pages for this area, " formerly with US dept of justice board of immigration appeals" its $50 for initial consultation, and i'm sure its gonna cost an arm and a leg for her services!!
    From UK came over 1970, the immigration officer at the airport was so rude and aggressive then, and i'd never been outside of the UK, wasn't used to being treated that way, made me feel like i was a piece of trash!!!it scared me to death!!! Ever since then, i have had a real fear of dealing with the INS!! That's why it's been 30 yrs before trying to go for citizenship. Have downloaded all the necessary forms from the internet, and the way the introduction reads, you'd think they were your best friend!! Welcome to the BCIS we are here to help you!!! I don't know, but that doesn't comfort me at all.
    Again thanks for your help, where are you from also? I'm guessing because of your 'handle, A Scot or Irish living in Oklahoma!!! lmbo
    regards cuppa

[This message was edited by cuppa t on November 14, 2003 at 01:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by cuppa t on November 14, 2003 at 01:03 PM.]

I think you will be fine. A consultation may be all that you need. The vast majority of cases don't need a lawyer except to spell out exactly what to do. And it sounds like you have a good one, and she will be able to let you know if you need to keep her as a representative in your case.

cuppa t:

I'm an Okie with Scot/Irish/English immigrants on both sides of my family, but I grew up in Australia. Guess that's why I'm interested in immigration.

Your lawyer is VERY reasonable on her consultation fee. Hope you will keep all of us posted on what you and your son learn at your appointment.

Sorry that you had such a rude welcome to the country 30 years ago. Where did you come in?

As for your Natz - go for it. I think you'll find this process a much more enjoyable experience. Don't let the test scare you. You appear to be very bright and articulate. Just study the guides and you'll blow right through the test.

Okie Celt

I came in (alone) to JFK. Hubby put me on the plane personally, he was afraid i wouldn't go!!! I know they are going to ask me why it took so long to apply for citizenship, gonna tell 'em i wanted to make sure the marriage worked out first!!! 30 yrs!!! lmbo
    Thanks for your encouragement,
    regards
    cuppa