50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: To tell or not to tell

Hope someone can help me with this. My friend, after graduating with his BS, stayed in the US and went right to another school to complete his MS and MBA but without an I-20; then, right after finishing the MBA went straight back to his home country turning in his I-94 (D/S). Now he wants to come back to the US as a tourist but does not want to disclose the whole situation. Our question is, would the DOS or INS know anything about this period of time from their computer system? certainly it will probably be empty (?); given that he turned in his I-94 at leaving and has his school diplomas and transcripts, would there be any problem getting a visa or at the port of entry given that he does not disclose the situation?

Hope someone can help me with this. My friend, after graduating with his BS, stayed in the US and went right to another school to complete his MS and MBA but without an I-20; then, right after finishing the MBA went straight back to his home country turning in his I-94 (D/S). Now he wants to come back to the US as a tourist but does not want to disclose the whole situation. Our question is, would the DOS or INS know anything about this period of time from their computer system? certainly it will probably be empty (?); given that he turned in his I-94 at leaving and has his school diplomas and transcripts, would there be any problem getting a visa or at the port of entry given that he does not disclose the situation?

If your friend did this pre-SEVIS then he should be OK. The way the records were kept (not kept) back then allowed such rule breaking to go unnoticed. It is not likely that DHS or State has any idea that he violated his status. If your friend benefits from a visa waiver, then he can just waltz into the US. If he has to get a visa, only a thorough investigation by the Consul will show the problem.

Post-SEVIS equals expedited removal for visa waiver or denial if he applies for a visa with DOS.

The Grand Poo-Bah
    Lord Chief Justice, Master of the Buckhounds and Groom of the Back Stairs

"Marcus" says,

"...My friend, after graduating with his BS, stayed in the US and went right to another school to complete his MS and MBA but without an I-20;..."

Now, I don't wanna become suspicious of your post, but how it is possible that the graduate school did not care to check the immigration status of the prospective student? Or did you just lie about it, putting in the application there you were American?

Lord, thank you for your reply .
    auf.wiedersehen, it looks like he did lie saying so; that is the reason he does not want to disclose his situation. I believe he wants to take a risk not telling otherwise he will get nailed... any suggestions?

Who f u c k i n g cares he has lied! Now proceed pursuant to the advice of Lord Chief Justice, Master of the Buckho!

Well, if he does not disclose and somehow they have the data, he could get into trouble. I'm sad for his situation but we got to do something so he comes back at least for visiting. Does not the school international advisor has to send the records of each student attending any school?

Unless there's someone who alerts the Embassy of the fact, I do not believe they will actually be aware of that.