publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Follow up- Dual Citizenship laws to Indian Origin, and landmark decision made in Pakistani Court

East Hampton [Long Island], New York [USA]
    Few months back, maybe 9-10 months ago, someone asked and wanted to know about the dual citizenship information in respect to Indian nationals. I don't remember the name of author or the title of that thread at this time, but I remember promising that whenever any new development will unfold in this regard, I will post here. Now, I am going to keep my promise since there is a new development unfolded on this matter with very good news for Indian nationals.

Just few weeks ago, Indian Parliament [Congress] unanimously adopted the Citizenship [Amendment] Bill 2003 that will allow dual citizenship to People of Indian Origin from 16 countries. The 16 countries where Indians can obtain dual citizenship are- United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Finland, France, Greece, Cyprus, Portugal, Switzerland, Israel, Sweden, Australia and New Zealand.

But, the laws in this regard are very strange though. Take a careful note- if an Indian wants to acquire foreign citizenship then s/he has to surrender his Indian passport and citizenship first. After s/he gets his foreign citizenship then s/he will have to apply to Indian Govt. for dual citizenship. It is also noted that if a person of Indian origin with dual citizenship wants to surrender his/her foreign citizenship and return to India, then s/he is not automatically entitled to Indian citizenship. Instead like any foreigner, s/he will have to come back to India, complete all other formalities required for becoming an Indian citizen and only then will s/he get to become an Indian citizen.

With Parliament approving this Bill, it now needs the President's nod and notification in the Government of India Gazette to become law.

At the same time, I have the opportunity to update everyone here, who is interested, about a landmark decision reached in Pakistani Court. It might not be interesting to many of you here, but this case was very important to me as far as human rights are concerned, and I've been keeping eyes on this case for a while.

Actually, Pakistan's Supreme Court has granted girls the right to marry according to their ˜free will' without parental consent. Setting aside a 1997 Lahore High Court judgment, the Supreme Court ruled that girls could marry without their wali's [guardian's] consent. ˜An adult and sane Muslim female can enter into a valid nikaah [marriage] of her own free will,' the court observed December 20, 2003. I think this is very good news as far as human rights go in this Islamic country. Don't you think so?

East Hampton [Long Island], New York [USA]
    Few months back, maybe 9-10 months ago, someone asked and wanted to know about the dual citizenship information in respect to Indian nationals. I don't remember the name of author or the title of that thread at this time, but I remember promising that whenever any new development will unfold in this regard, I will post here. Now, I am going to keep my promise since there is a new development unfolded on this matter with very good news for Indian nationals.

Just few weeks ago, Indian Parliament [Congress] unanimously adopted the Citizenship [Amendment] Bill 2003 that will allow dual citizenship to People of Indian Origin from 16 countries. The 16 countries where Indians can obtain dual citizenship are- United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Finland, France, Greece, Cyprus, Portugal, Switzerland, Israel, Sweden, Australia and New Zealand.

But, the laws in this regard are very strange though. Take a careful note- if an Indian wants to acquire foreign citizenship then s/he has to surrender his Indian passport and citizenship first. After s/he gets his foreign citizenship then s/he will have to apply to Indian Govt. for dual citizenship. It is also noted that if a person of Indian origin with dual citizenship wants to surrender his/her foreign citizenship and return to India, then s/he is not automatically entitled to Indian citizenship. Instead like any foreigner, s/he will have to come back to India, complete all other formalities required for becoming an Indian citizen and only then will s/he get to become an Indian citizen.

With Parliament approving this Bill, it now needs the President's nod and notification in the Government of India Gazette to become law.

At the same time, I have the opportunity to update everyone here, who is interested, about a landmark decision reached in Pakistani Court. It might not be interesting to many of you here, but this case was very important to me as far as human rights are concerned, and I've been keeping eyes on this case for a while.

Actually, Pakistan's Supreme Court has granted girls the right to marry according to their ˜free will' without parental consent. Setting aside a 1997 Lahore High Court judgment, the Supreme Court ruled that girls could marry without their wali's [guardian's] consent. ˜An adult and sane Muslim female can enter into a valid nikaah [marriage] of her own free will,' the court observed December 20, 2003. I think this is very good news as far as human rights go in this Islamic country. Don't you think so?

Thanks for that info sammy... here are some more news on current date...

Statement on Dual Citizenship

CGI Houston, December 23, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indian Parliament has passed the bill to grant Dual Nationality to PIOs belonging to 16 countries viz. United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Italy, Netherlands, Finland, Ireland, France, New Zealand, Israel, Greece, Cyprus, Sweden, Switzerland and Portugal, on 22 December, 2003.

The procedures and implementation process is being worked out by the Government and is likely to take 3 to 6 months.

The Consulate General of India would widely publicise the procedure for applying for Dual Nationality once it is finalised.

source : -

http://www.cgihouston.org/PressReleaseDualC.html

Thank you so much, SAMMY.

I follow womens rights in other countries closely. I have asked Mian to let his daughter marry whom she chooses, and he agreed, but...

This is good news, but I'm sure change will come slowly. Perhaps by the time she is old enough to marry, she can do so at her own free will.
    Sweet Madame Belu