free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USC marriage to Undocumented Unadmissable Guatemalan

Hi. I'm a USC. Years ago, I met my boyfriend in the United States. Knowing little about immigration law, we decided to travel together outside of the country. I am now in the United States, and he is in his home country of Guatemala. We want to get married, but he is inadmissible for the following reasons:
    INA212(a)(6)(A)(i) and INA212(a)(9)(c)(i); misrepresentation/fraud and overstay. He was here for a total of 3 years, so he probably has some kind of bar at this point too. He never reentered after leaving. He has never had any arrests or convictions. He has no other family in the US.

My question is this: what is the best plan of action to bring him in? Should I marry him down there, then petition for him and file a 601 waiver? Or, should I bring him in on a fiance visa, and file a I-192 waiver. We are both young, and don't have kids.. just deeply in love. There is little hardship to prove, no health issues or anything like that. Are we S-O-L?? I hope with all my heart we are not.. Please help!

Hi. I'm a USC. Years ago, I met my boyfriend in the United States. Knowing little about immigration law, we decided to travel together outside of the country. I am now in the United States, and he is in his home country of Guatemala. We want to get married, but he is inadmissible for the following reasons:
    INA212(a)(6)(A)(i) and INA212(a)(9)(c)(i); misrepresentation/fraud and overstay. He was here for a total of 3 years, so he probably has some kind of bar at this point too. He never reentered after leaving. He has never had any arrests or convictions. He has no other family in the US.

My question is this: what is the best plan of action to bring him in? Should I marry him down there, then petition for him and file a 601 waiver? Or, should I bring him in on a fiance visa, and file a I-192 waiver. We are both young, and don't have kids.. just deeply in love. There is little hardship to prove, no health issues or anything like that. Are we S-O-L?? I hope with all my heart we are not.. Please help!

Hi GCB and welcome,

Was he deported?

Thanks, Proud!

No, he was not deported. He used false docs to get in, and presented his real passport when flying out. The airline reps were confused as to why he didn't have an entrance visa, but they didn't do anything about it, just shrugged it off and let him go b/c he was already leaving the country.

Obviously, using false docs was a very stupid and regrettable move on his behalf.. but we can't change the past. Do we even have a case?

I did a little more research and as long as the misrepresentation wasn't falsely claiming to be a USC, I believe both can be overcome by marriage to a USC and I-601 waiver. Best to also check with an immigration attorney. Good luck to you!

I'll add I really hope he didn't claim to be a USC because there is no waiver available for that, GCB. It would be a lifetime ban. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Thank you so much, Proud - you're absolutely wonderful to donate your time to this forum. He used fake Guatemalan docs.

One more question.. if I apply for a fiance visa (I think I129), do I have to file a waiver at that same time, or will a waiver just be required when he's trying to get a green card? I'd like to bring him here as soon as possible. Doesn't the I129 have some loophole b/c it's technically a nonimmigrant visa?

Hi GCB,

Fiance Visa is a K-1 non-immigrant visa. I'm not sure this will be appropriate in his case since he needs a waiver. Let me do a little digging. Btw, I'm not an attorney, but have gathered information on immigration due to someone in my family needing help. And, I'm always glad to help when I can, but will be straight when I'm not sure about something.

I believe the I-601 waiver would be needed at the time of the interview for approval of the
    K-1 visa, GCB. But, please check with a good immigration attorney too. Lot of luck to you.

The I-29F is a non-immigrant visa, yes, but it has pretty much the exact same requirements as an immigrant visa, so there's no loophole there. The only advantage is that it's faster.

The I-601 waiver can't be filed until he's been denied and that won't happen until the interview. As soon as that denial happens, the packet and associated fee can be handed over.

Check the link below for more information.

http://www.familybasedimmigrat...om/forum/waivers.php
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch