50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: report abandonment of green card

I am a US citizen whose ex-wife immigrated to the US 6 years ago, acquiring a green card through marriage to me. After our divorce 2 years ago (she now has a green card with no conditions), she left me and our son in the States and moved back to Europe. She visits periodically (about once every 5 months) in order not to lose her green card. Now that I have recently remarried she is threatening to move back to the US and take me to court for the custody of our son (legal and physical) which she signed over to me in our divorce and to prevent me from moving out of state next year. If the custody doesn't change in her favor, then she has threatened to become a warden of the state and to ruin me financially, given that I sponsored her immigration.

I would like to know whether I can report her to Immigration and Customs Enforcement somehow for abandoning her permanent residency. She has not worked in the US since March 2008, has no bank account and no residence in the US (though she may have lied to the USCIS by using my address as her own). She is currently in the country for a brief visit, but I would like to inform the authorities so that they revoke her green card on her way out (or as she enters next time).

I am considering calling 1-866-DHS-2-ICE to report her, but I don't know if it is the appropriate number to call for such a violation. I would appreciate any pointers on how to proceed.

Thank you for your time.

I am a US citizen whose ex-wife immigrated to the US 6 years ago, acquiring a green card through marriage to me. After our divorce 2 years ago (she now has a green card with no conditions), she left me and our son in the States and moved back to Europe. She visits periodically (about once every 5 months) in order not to lose her green card. Now that I have recently remarried she is threatening to move back to the US and take me to court for the custody of our son (legal and physical) which she signed over to me in our divorce and to prevent me from moving out of state next year. If the custody doesn't change in her favor, then she has threatened to become a warden of the state and to ruin me financially, given that I sponsored her immigration.

I would like to know whether I can report her to Immigration and Customs Enforcement somehow for abandoning her permanent residency. She has not worked in the US since March 2008, has no bank account and no residence in the US (though she may have lied to the USCIS by using my address as her own). She is currently in the country for a brief visit, but I would like to inform the authorities so that they revoke her green card on her way out (or as she enters next time).

I am considering calling 1-866-DHS-2-ICE to report her, but I don't know if it is the appropriate number to call for such a violation. I would appreciate any pointers on how to proceed.

Thank you for your time.

That should work, but also report her in writing to the USCIS office having jurisdiction over your place of residence and to the CBP office having jurisdiction over the nearest Port of Entry to where you live (e.g. international airport).

USCIS Local Offices

CBP Offices

Good luck. I should not worry about custody, as you have had custody for years and it is unlikely that a judge would change that.

Thanks so much for the information and encouragement!