free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: $$$$$$ on Cover letter??

Hello Friends,
    First of all I am really apologizing and sorry for asking this NOT immigration related question. I hope you guys forgive me but the problem is that I am sending some resumes this week and I have no one to turn to for advise and mostly all employers really want to know SALARY/ REQUIREMENTS/ HISTORY. Now my question is do I have to state how much I make or how much I am looking for? I.e.: do I have to put a figure in my cover letter? Cause right now on my cover letter I am just letting them know that I am open and ready to negotiate a fair offer would that be okay? What do you guys think? Your advice is greatly appreciated friends. Once again I am really sorry for asking a NOT immigration related question.

Raju

Hello Friends,
    First of all I am really apologizing and sorry for asking this NOT immigration related question. I hope you guys forgive me but the problem is that I am sending some resumes this week and I have no one to turn to for advise and mostly all employers really want to know SALARY/ REQUIREMENTS/ HISTORY. Now my question is do I have to state how much I make or how much I am looking for? I.e.: do I have to put a figure in my cover letter? Cause right now on my cover letter I am just letting them know that I am open and ready to negotiate a fair offer would that be okay? What do you guys think? Your advice is greatly appreciated friends. Once again I am really sorry for asking a NOT immigration related question.

Raju

Raju:

I think if the employer does not request your salary requirements, do not include it. However, that is just my personal preference. Some employers may want you to cut to the chase and tell them what you want, but most, I think, want you to focus on what you can do for them. Especially in this declining job market, I would say to focus on what you can do for the employer as opposed what the employer can do for you.

Of course you are trying to get a job to support yourself and perhaps send money back home, that's always the goal. But, as an employer myself and an American, an employee who haggles about the amount of pay he receives is a turn-off. I may be different, but I doubt it. I prefer to wait for the employer to mention the amount of pay and then begin the process of negotiations.

Gabriel D. Jack, Esq.
    gjack@mj-law.com

Hello GabeJack,
    First of all thank you so much for replying my NONE immigration related question as you are the only one who has bothered to reply me even though there have been 50 views by now. Okay anyway I think you took my posting the wrong way. I am the last person to bring up anything about salary or pay-scale on an interview let alone cover-letter (I am not talking about interview in my posting) believe me if I can avoid that question I would do it in a heart beat but the problem is that MOST of the employers mention in the job-posting itself saying SALARY HISTORY/REQUIREMENT ARE A MUST FOR CONSIDERATION and hence I had asked and posted this question I believe you thought that I was talking about how much salary I want in just my interview when I was all the time talking about a cover-letter in my posting. It is Employers who want to know and not me who wants to tell . I do not discuss salary till I reach the 2nd or 3rd interview but by then the employer already makes a offer so i do not have to face that question. i just had questions about how to answer it on a cover-letter that is all.

Raju

If the employer ASKS for salary/history requirements. Then include it in. If they don't ask -- then don't include it. Why is this such a difficult question for you??

-= nav =-

perhaps if they do ask for it, just provide them with your salary history. Don't tell them what you expect from them.

I agree with gabejack...only give them what they ask. You can modify your resume to include salaries paid for past jobs for the potential employers who ask, but I wouldn't include that as a standard on any resume. For salary required? Hmmm, could you say "salary negotiable"? That may satisfy that question.

To Gabejack
    Thank you once again for responding and I will take your points in consideration before sending my resumes. Thank you so much for the help.

To Lonely in USA,
    Thank you for responding to my posting and I will take your point in consideration as well. Until today I have put words like negotiable and according to prevailing market pay-scale on my cover letter but the thing is that I have got emailed back saying how much I was really looking for or my expectations were. For e.g. say I make 65 and the position offers 45(which they do not disclose on job-postings) then there is no sense for that employer to contact me for an interview cause he knows I wont be interested in the job (just cuts time and hassle for the employer and he can move to the next candidate) My main problem was do I need to put a figure on my cover-letter that is all. Anyway thank you for all your help.

To Moondin,
    I wish it was that simple as you say it is man to include salary if they demand and Not if they don't. Wish it was that simple my friend. I don't think you really under stood my question in the first place. Anyway thank you so much for your input,

Raju