50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delayed GC. How long till citizenship?

Hello people.
    I just got my green card after waiting over 2 years since my filling date, and I was granted 10yrs. Thank God. I have been married for over two years.

The question I have is, "How long do I have to wait till I can file for citizenship."

For a while my wife and I have not been getting along and I don't know how much longer we can manage the heat in the house.

Any positive advice would be appreciated.

Hello people.
    I just got my green card after waiting over 2 years since my filling date, and I was granted 10yrs. Thank God. I have been married for over two years.

The question I have is, "How long do I have to wait till I can file for citizenship."

For a while my wife and I have not been getting along and I don't know how much longer we can manage the heat in the house.

Any positive advice would be appreciated.

3 years if got GC due to marriage with USC.
    5 years if got CG by any other way.
    Check the date on the GC and apply above formula.

You can apply 90 days prior to 3-year or 5-year anniversary.

If through marriage base (3yrs - 90 days), you have to in fact stay married and living together as man and wife right up to the Oath ceremony otherwise you will have to re-apply at 5yrs - 90 days.

The date is from the date printed on your GC.

Going straight to a 10yr GC actually isn't always a good thing especially if you waited some years to get it and then separating/divorcing before 3 yrs of having that card.
    I waited sometime for mine and by the time I can apply for Citizenship I would have been here already 8yrs and was married 2.5yrs before even coming here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Oh I see. Yes I agree getting the 10yr GC might not be the best afterall. But considering the fact that she has been misbehaving and I have physical proof that she's messing around, I don't think we would make it past the new year as it has taken a lot to stay around.

I have offered a marriage counseling option but she blatantly refused.

I thought for a moment that the delayed GC had a different length of wait time.

What if one is married to another person at the 3 yr mark after the date of the GC?

I am sorry to hear that MR Confused.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter who is at fault or the reasons for your separation/divorce.

Once you have that 10yr GC nothing is taken into consideration even if there was abuse unlike when someone has a GC with conditions on it.

There is no point in staying with someone for sake of getting Citizenship earlier, especially if what you say about your wife is true and can't save it.
    I am afraid if you do separate, you won't be able to apply until the 5yrs -90 days option.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What if one is married to another person at the 3 yr mark after the date of the GC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 3yr rule is based on the original marriage not any subsequent ones because that was the basis for getting the GC in the first place.
    If you separate and divorce now you'll have to wait 5yrs.

What Sprint says is true. Once you have the 10yr card there's really no point in remaining with her (unless you are a masochist ). You won't loose your GC because of divorce now.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrConfused:
    I thought for a moment that the delayed GC had a different length of wait time.

What if one is married to another person at the 3 yr mark after the date of the GC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No unfortunately not. For some reason USCIS didn't think about this. It isn't fair in my opinion, if we were given a GC with conditions, the date would have been much earlier.
    The only positive thing I guess is that we didn't have submit proof to remove conditions.

For marriage base, you have to stay married to the same person up to Oath Ceremony if applying for 3 yrs -90 days. If you marry someone else, you will be able to still apply at 5 yrs - 90 days from date on your GC you have.

Mr Confused, if you haven't already, check the divorce laws in your State. Some States require 1yr separation before divorcing.

Whatever happens, all the very best to your future.