free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advance Parole

I am currently adjusting my status with the New York City office. I know it will take 1-2 years to get my green card, and if I want to travel I need to get an Advance Parole.

Some questions:
    (1) What reasons does the INS permit an advanced parole? (Can I just state I want to visit my family)

(2) How long does the permit allow you to travel? (1 trip, or for a couple of months)

(3) Is the permit only for one country, or is it open?

Any advice would be helpful,
    JF

I am currently adjusting my status with the New York City office. I know it will take 1-2 years to get my green card, and if I want to travel I need to get an Advance Parole.

Some questions:
    (1) What reasons does the INS permit an advanced parole? (Can I just state I want to visit my family)

(2) How long does the permit allow you to travel? (1 trip, or for a couple of months)

(3) Is the permit only for one country, or is it open?

Any advice would be helpful,
    JF

1. Any reason; vacation or visiting relatives are sufficient.

2. not limited to only one trip; as long as you don't stay outside of U.S. for more than 6 months (i think it means 6 continuous months, but i am not sure).

3. you can go to any country.

Note that if you've been out of status for more than 180 days, you will not be admitted into the country even with AP.

You must specify a 'multiple admission' advanced parole when requesting it otherwise you will most likely only be issued a 'single admission' document.

What document (number) is used to request AP?
    Tanks,
    BillyBobWileyBobDudeManJoeJohnSmith

JL, or anyone who may know.

I applied for an adjustment of status in July 2002 and my visitor's visa is stamped until December 8th.

Does the 180 days begin after December 8th, or did it stop because I applied for an adjustment of status in July?

I would like to travel next summer, but I dont want to be barred from coming back!

Thanks a million,
    JF

To BillyBobWileyBobDudeManJoeJohnSmith : traveldocument is form I-131

To JF : your overstay will technically start on Dec. 9th. You should have received a receipt for your AOS but technically you will be out of status from Dec. 9th on although you won't have to worry about that. Let me remind you though that a traveldocument is not a garantee that you can re-enter the US. It is advised that if you don't have to leave the country, dom't leave untill your AOS is approved.

I am not a lawyer, I can make mistakes but I do not make them willingly, so please doublecheck any information given by my or anyone else for that matter with a certified lawyer before you take any further action.

The overstay doesn't apply to you since your status now is "adjustee" or "application pending."

What I was trying to say was, the "overstay" stopped because of your AOS application.

Thanks for the reply! :-)