50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Removal Proceedings - Voluntary Departure

Hi , I'm an international student and I'm out of status since last year. I went to the special registration and they found out that I've been out of status. I will have my master hearing next month. I plan to take the voluntary departure option if I can. Do you guys think I need a lawyer to represent me just to take the VD option? and if I take the VD how long I can stay before I leave here? Thanks

Hi , I'm an international student and I'm out of status since last year. I went to the special registration and they found out that I've been out of status. I will have my master hearing next month. I plan to take the voluntary departure option if I can. Do you guys think I need a lawyer to represent me just to take the VD option? and if I take the VD how long I can stay before I leave here? Thanks

120 days tops you can stay after VD has been granted....

No you don't need a lawyer if you are sure you are going to leave the US on a VD.
    SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

Hello, Syn. Your out-of-status situation is similar to a friend's of mine. (I posted a question about his situation yesterday.) Can I ask you, do/did you have any options available to try and stay in the states and renew your status? As my friend doesn't want to go yet (he wants to finish college) and is worried about the whole process. He has fears and worries about what will happen. If you are willing to talk to me off-list my email addy is cerannah@smig.net.

Actually I've asked some lawyers and they said the chance that I can stay here is small. That's why I will take the VD option instead. I'm out of status because I didn't take any classes on last semester when the special registration started. Your friend may have a better chance if he/she almost finish the school. Some students are allowed to continue their school by INS. That's what I heard.

I just talked to my friend (see post "I-20 Out of Status") and he talked to two lawyers today. They both told him to see INS and try to reinstate his I-20 status but if he is rejected he will have to leave in 10 days.

It is very frustrating and worrisome. Of course he should have stayed on top of his I-20...but now that it is at this point it is such a volatile situation.

More frustrating to me, is we have been dating for a few months and it is a very good relationship, although so new. I will be horribly saddened if he has to leave.

If you leave on VD, do you plan on returning? How long does that process take as far as you know? Thanks.

Cerannah, If he only needs 22 more credits to graduate, I think you can ask him to try. But first of all he better talk to someone from the international office at his school. They should help him and give some solutions or advices. Since, I need about 60 credits more to graduate. It is not easy for me to persuade them so I can stay. Anyway, I have a girlfriend and she's going to my country and we'll probably going back to US after I finish my school in my country. That's why I want to take the CD option.