50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marrying a USC

I have been here in the US for the past 2 years on an L1 visa. I am getting married to a USC in November. However I need to return to India (my home country) for a couple of months in end November after the wedding here in the US. My husband would be visiting me in India for a few weeks. We are confused as to where we should file documents for the spouse Green Card. Can we Apply for a K3 visa in India, so I can return here by April next year.
    Would it be better to get married in India instead??
    Can some one help. The complication here is that I HAVE to return to India for a while after the wedding here to wind up the contract that I have with my employer in India. However I do want to be able to get back here after 3-4 months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have been here in the US for the past 2 years on an L1 visa. I am getting married to a USC in November. However I need to return to India (my home country) for a couple of months in end November after the wedding here in the US. My husband would be visiting me in India for a few weeks. We are confused as to where we should file documents for the spouse Green Card. Can we Apply for a K3 visa in India, so I can return here by April next year.
    Would it be better to get married in India instead??
    Can some one help. The complication here is that I HAVE to return to India for a while after the wedding here to wind up the contract that I have with my employer in India. However I do want to be able to get back here after 3-4 months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I believe that after your marriage, when your husband petitions for you, you may also file a form that will allow you to travel briefly (application for a travel permit, I-131). It should be about another $100.

Good luck

You may know you are eligible to adjust your status while in the US. Can you leave? Yes if you submitt your I-131 permit to travel abroad or you can also request to be paroled to the US to resume your adjustment.
    If you find this procedure to complicated, you mmight opt for a visa K while in India. As to how long you might wait for isssuance of such a visa
    have no idea. Each country and consulate work at their own pace.
    Regards,
    enrique