50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Do I have 2 Alien numbers?

The first time I filed, I received an employment authorization with my alien number. However, my adjustment of status never really made it all the way through the process because I got divorced. In my 2nd marriage, I tried to file again and I got a letter from INS, an toward the top, there was something called a "File Number" The number began with an "A" followed by an eight digit number. Is this another alien number? Or is it just like a case number?

The first time I filed, I received an employment authorization with my alien number. However, my adjustment of status never really made it all the way through the process because I got divorced. In my 2nd marriage, I tried to file again and I got a letter from INS, an toward the top, there was something called a "File Number" The number began with an "A" followed by an eight digit number. Is this another alien number? Or is it just like a case number?

Married,

That seems to be a new Alien #. You can Call BCIS @ 1-800-375-5283 for more information.

Copper

Yes, the file number is your A number and should consist of 8 numbers or if it is 7 numbers you add a 0 at the beginning. For example A55-555-555 would convert to 055-555-555, both are acceptable.

It is normal that a new A# would be issued. Often for F-1 students they are given an A# when they apply for an EAD card for optional practical training. However, later when they file for adjustment of status they will receive a new A#.

So if I am filing new applications or petitions which ask for my Alien number, which number should I write? The first one I have, the second one, or should I use the new one if they give me a third one when I file this time?

your real A number is the one on the letter that you received from the INS. They use some codings on those EADs or something.