free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Bar After LPR

Hi, I recently became an LPR. Before I filed my papers,my lawyer said that I should not leave the US because of something called the "Trvl bar". Now that I am an LPR, is this still somehting I need to worry about?

Hi, I recently became an LPR. Before I filed my papers,my lawyer said that I should not leave the US because of something called the "Trvl bar". Now that I am an LPR, is this still somehting I need to worry about?

You should be fine now that you became an LPR. The bar applies to people in AOS proceedings who have overstayed their visa before filing.

Bare in mind though that an imigrationofficer can deny you access to the US any given time even with LPR status although this rarely happens.

http://www.immigrate2us.net

You mean I can be denied "just becuase", or because of travel bar? I understand if what you mean is that trvel bar is not only thing I need to worry about.

For the record, I am also under the impression that the travel bar is not an issue once AOS has been completed and you are an LPR. All other concerns would still apply, of course.

it can be a bar after getting GC, yes .. Political asylum cases has bar to travel to the country where the Alien came from , he will be probihited to travel back.

My friend got Asylen Green with As06 catagory. His attorney told him that now he can travel to his country and should not be problem to enter in US. Based on your above message, it can not happen. Please clarify if my friend's attorney is right or wrong. Thank you.

Mohan, is that just a problem for asylum seekers? What if a person gets AOS under 245(i) based family immigration?

What is tricky to me is that the code section with the travel bar makes a reference to "except for those admitted for legal permanent residence", which seems to exclude all LPRs, but it may be a little ambivalent because, once you leave, are you still technically "admitted" as an LPR for these purposes?

its only for the alien who seek and get asylum, he is probihited to travel back to that country as he will have fear of percecution or other sort.
    Only other advise is not to travel who are adjusting and have bar, overstayed,but once the AOS is apporved and got green card they will be allowed to travel anywhere. Bar is abolished.

Thanks, Mohan, that's what I thought too. Makes sense about the asylum seekers, since asylum is SUPPOSED to be based on the fact that you are afraid to return to your home country (makes me wonder about Tanny's friend, since they do not seem to be that concerned about going home). One last question/thought, my impression is that it is ok for the asylum seeking to travel to OTHER countries, just not to return to their OWN country. That correct?