50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: marriage process

I am getting married to my fiancee who is a US citizen, haven't set a date yet but we both seem committed and want to marry soon. I am in need of knowing in short what the whole process entails before i give in. I came here legally on f_1 visa graduated with an associates in Bus though my i-20 and visa expired i've maintained status by being a full time student by pursuing another course of study other than the latter. Any help with a breakdown on what the process involves would be greatly appreciated.

I am getting married to my fiancee who is a US citizen, haven't set a date yet but we both seem committed and want to marry soon. I am in need of knowing in short what the whole process entails before i give in. I came here legally on f_1 visa graduated with an associates in Bus though my i-20 and visa expired i've maintained status by being a full time student by pursuing another course of study other than the latter. Any help with a breakdown on what the process involves would be greatly appreciated.

After you get married, just file for Adjustment of Status (AOS).

Read the details in:-

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...ncy/family.htm

If you file yourself, the expenses and fees less than $1000, if you hire a lawyer, its triple of 4 times from that.

The approval varies from state to state, some approved within 8 months, but not more than 24 months normally if everything are fine with your filing.

I'm one of you, not a lawyer, act accordingly.

First of all MAKE SURE that your status is LEGAL right now. Once you marry you must file for Adjustment of Status, and this are the applications you must file:
    Adjustment of Status or I-485,Biographic Information or g-325 and maybe the petition of Alien Relative ( I truly dont know if this last one changes because your visa is different from the one I had when I came here)First of all make sure that all the steps you take are the right ones, even if you have to call Inmigration every day to ask about the forms or the right way to fill them out.

Download all the forms from the INS web page, download the intructions and read them carefully.Go to the FAQS page and look for Adjustment of Status based on marriage,there you will find all the instructions you need to understand this process better.

You will pay the fees and send them the forms and then u will have to wait for your interview and appointment letters.Remember to keep the originals and copies of everything you send them, and to make copies of the Marriage Certificate.

You also must be prepared for what you are going to have to deal with. Marriage and inmigration dont mix well. This is going to be a stressful time for both of you and nobody in the INS will care that your husband is an american citizen.

Good Luck