50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Citizenship Procedure

I am a greencard holder which I got in Sep 1998 through my marriage to a US citizen. We got divorced in 2001 after 6 years of marriage. I wanted to find out when I will be eligible for citizenship and waht the procedure is. The INS site is a bit confusing especially about "selective service". What is selective service and how does it make me eligible??

Secondly, I plan on visiting Canada. Can I do so without a Canadian Visa and just my GC and Passport. Do I need anyother documents??

Any help is much appreciated!!

Regards

I am a greencard holder which I got in Sep 1998 through my marriage to a US citizen. We got divorced in 2001 after 6 years of marriage. I wanted to find out when I will be eligible for citizenship and waht the procedure is. The INS site is a bit confusing especially about "selective service". What is selective service and how does it make me eligible??

Secondly, I plan on visiting Canada. Can I do so without a Canadian Visa and just my GC and Passport. Do I need anyother documents??

Any help is much appreciated!!

Regards

Your GC is will be sufficient. Since you are no longer married to a USC, the 5 years as a GC holder rule applies. You may have some explaining to do about your previous marriage to a USC.

How do I enroll into Selective service??

I thing, if I remember right, it pertain to military service. This is a requirement that you have to agree to when you filled up some immigrantion form. I forget the number of the form.

You do not have to worry about it. They will induct you in the army when war comes, if you are in the age category of able bodied man.

If you were a GC holder between the ages 18-26, you were required by law to register with the selective service system. If you did not do so, it will come up during Naturalization.

Please contact an attorney, if you believe you are in violation of the selective service registration law. This discussion board cannot be a substitution for serious legal advice.

I got the GC at the age of 27 so I guess that relieves me of selective service. Do I have to apply until after 5 years for Naturalization or may do that a few months prior to my sep. 2003 (5yrs) anniversary?

You are eligible 90 days prior to your 5th anniversary as your date of permanent residency.

Check the INS web site and you will be able to get the necessary info on how to file for Naturalization