50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Expired E2 visa

This may sound ridiculous, and probably is, but my laywer is telling me that even though my E2 visa expired Feb 2002, re-entry to the US is automatic (as automatic as can be these days) and the INS officer wil re-issue a new I94 for a period of ????
    I sure hope this is correct, but the info I have been getting on the web seems to conflict with this.
    Also, what is the situation when you have two visas in the one passport, I have the expired E2 and a soon to expire B1 ??
    Any and all info would be very greatly appreciated.

This may sound ridiculous, and probably is, but my laywer is telling me that even though my E2 visa expired Feb 2002, re-entry to the US is automatic (as automatic as can be these days) and the INS officer wil re-issue a new I94 for a period of ????
    I sure hope this is correct, but the info I have been getting on the web seems to conflict with this.
    Also, what is the situation when you have two visas in the one passport, I have the expired E2 and a soon to expire B1 ??
    Any and all info would be very greatly appreciated.

Change your lawyer. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. There is NO WAY that you will be allowed entry based on the E-2 visa, although you may be allowed entry on the basis of the B-1 visa, depending on how much time you will have left when you try to re-enter.

Thanks for the reply, thats what I was afraid of.
    The question of using my B1 visa for re-entry is just how much information does the INS have at it POE stations? I have been in the US for a period of 5 years, firstly with the B1 and then for the last 2 years with the E2. I have a hard time believing that once they see the E2 they would grant entry on the B1, even if I am good a story telling !!!

First, why don't you provide full details: what country will you be coming from when you try to re-enter, how long will you have been away by the time you try to re-enter, is your E-2 visa a dependent visa or are you the principal visa holder, do you have an unexpired I-94, is the E-2 business still in operation, etc. etc. etc. It would then be easier to answer or "speculate" on what might happen when you try to re-enter.

Thanks for your interest.
    I will be coming from Australia. I will have been out of the US for 14 days. I am the principal of a company still in operatioin in the US.
    I am also married to a US citizen, but have only just begun the process of gaining a green card.(I was unsure wether I wanted to go that route originally) I have been married 8 months.
    The business that was originally started to gain the E2 has changed somewhat, so renewal of the visa would be a "start all over" deal. What really ticks me off is my laywer is a junior partner in a large firm that deals a lot with immigration matters, and he is now the third lawyer to tell me that an expired visa is OK for travel.
    I first raised this question some 18 months ago. Now it seems that my options have been considerably limited. Worse yet is that I am directly responsible for employees, equipment, property etc etc in the US.
    So much for good hired help, and he's not cheap, but come tomorrow he may be fired !!

I am sorry to mention that once you had adjusted your status to E Visa your B Visa automatically stands cancelled. You will need fresh B Visa to enter in to the States.
    You must check with US Embassy in your country before travelling back to the States.
    Good luck

I knew my options were limited, but not that limited, and we're supposed to be allies.

I think all that is left to do is apply for an extension of my I-94 and wait for my marriage petition to be processed.

Thanks for the info.

drilldmc ,If you are a E2 or L1 holder (in this case you are) go to www.britishexpats.com/forum then click US Immigration or US Visas. That forum is more focused on these types of visas. Also you can avoid posts like the one above!