Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! NSEERS

Folks,
    I am an Indian Citizen since birth but born in Qatar as my father worked as an expatriat there. In April I, made an application for extension of my H1B. Recently I recieved a Request for Evidence for Special Registration asking for NSEERS/Special Registration.

But I never held any Qatari citizenship. As per INS defination of "national or citizen", I don't believe I fit in either catagory, so I did not go in for Registration then. However, I did notice one error on my current I-129, under the "country of citizen" it states Qatar. I guess I should have had it corrected three years ago. My question:

1) Is it too late to correct the mistake of "country of citizen - Qatar" to Indian on my I-94 ?
    2) Did I need to register ?
    3) If yes, does this automatically mean I will be deported now ?
    4) Should I leave the country before they start the deportation proceedings ?

Being a software professional, I am really distressed. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    -Ravi

Folks,
    I am an Indian Citizen since birth but born in Qatar as my father worked as an expatriat there. In April I, made an application for extension of my H1B. Recently I recieved a Request for Evidence for Special Registration asking for NSEERS/Special Registration.

But I never held any Qatari citizenship. As per INS defination of "national or citizen", I don't believe I fit in either catagory, so I did not go in for Registration then. However, I did notice one error on my current I-129, under the "country of citizen" it states Qatar. I guess I should have had it corrected three years ago. My question:

1) Is it too late to correct the mistake of "country of citizen - Qatar" to Indian on my I-94 ?
    2) Did I need to register ?
    3) If yes, does this automatically mean I will be deported now ?
    4) Should I leave the country before they start the deportation proceedings ?

Being a software professional, I am really distressed. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    -Ravi

I do not believe that you need to register. However, the error has to be corrected in the BCIS computer system. I suggest that you go to the local BCIS office and go to the special registration cell ( you may get better attention) and ask them the procedure for correcting their system. Please keep copies of all papers you submit.

PRESIDENT,

Thanks for your reply. But I would prefer doing correspondence via mail than to walk in to the local BCIS office. The officer their would probabily have his/her own interpretation and would probabily detain me. I have heard too many horror stories of these types.

Anyone on the list have had anyone in a similary position ? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

In your reply to RFA you HAVE to demonstrate that you're an Indian citizen (not a citizen of Qatar). Do you have a prove of that? If not contact an Indian consulate to obtain it. That should correct the error in the BCIS computers and your extension should be approved.

As far as I-129 and I-94 you also have to demonstrate to BCIS you Indian citizenship. I'd write them a letter stating all the facts with supporting documents. Make sure you include all the receipt/reference numbers.

To Zara:
    According to NSEERS Provision, you need to go to BCIS. People who are nationals or born in those countries are required to register. You should go to BCIS and the officer on duty will determine whether you should register or not. As the law stands, you must go for registration. According to their rules you might be exempted from registration. You should go there with all your paperwork and proof. Everything will be okay for you. If you will read NASEER provision, you will agree with me.
    Good luck.

Umesh,

NSEERS is the new name for Special Registration I think. But the Special Registration is over months ago. If I go in now, I could be apprehended/detained for non-compliance.

The official defination from BCIS web site is:
    Citizen: A person owing allegiance to and entitled by birth or naturalization to the protection of a state.
    National: A person owing permanent allegiance to a state.

If birth is the criteria than he/she has to be a citizen which I am not. I don't know, what to do. Note that BCIS was requesting "why I did'nt register or prove that I did not need to register"...I will just wait and see what BCIS comes back. I responded to the above inquiry as "I am citizen of India and not subjected to NSEERS".

I wonder if it would help if I got a latter from Qatar Embassy stating that I am neither a citizen or national of Qatar.

Yes, that letter from Qatar Embassy/Consulate will help you a lot. They will mention in the letter, although you were born there but you are neither a National or a Citizen of Qatar.

In addition to above letter from Qatar Embassy you should write a letter for waiver of Registration. Here is some information about that:

Application for Registration Waivers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone requesting a waiver for the required registration should submit the following items to an immigration officer:

A letter stating name, date of birth, citizenship, and a thorough explanation as to why they feel they are entitled to a waiver.

FOR STUDENTS:
    A copy of their I-20 form and a letter from the school stating that they are currently enrolled, how many days a week they attend classes, and any other information they feel will aid their case.
    FOR LABOR-BASED ENTRANTS:
    A letter from their employer attesting to the fact that they are currently employed, how long they have been employed, and any other information they feel will aid their case.

NOTE:

Applications can be submitted at either time of entry or departure. Submission of application does NOT guarantee receipt of waiver. There is no time frame given, at this time, as to when the waivers will be granted.

Good luck.

Hi Umesh!

To Heh:
    Yes, how can I help you.
    God bless you.