50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with immigration processing in L.A?

I'm feeling really frustrated about the processing times and procedures at LA Immigration Center.
    I've applied for AOS around six months ago(December/2002) but so far I haven't heard any word from them.
    I filed and paid the fees for the whole package of forms (I-130, I-485, I-765, and others).

Also, I've been to the immigration service center in LA, in person, twice, but the only answer I got from them was that I should wait.

Now I realized that they have updated the processing time for I-130, and they are already processing forms of 12/16/2002.
    Considering that I filed in the first week of Dec./2002, why haven't they sent any notice to me yet?
    I think it is time for me to get some sort of notice from them.

Can anybody help me understand what's going on?

Thanks!

I'm feeling really frustrated about the processing times and procedures at LA Immigration Center.
    I've applied for AOS around six months ago(December/2002) but so far I haven't heard any word from them.
    I filed and paid the fees for the whole package of forms (I-130, I-485, I-765, and others).

Also, I've been to the immigration service center in LA, in person, twice, but the only answer I got from them was that I should wait.

Now I realized that they have updated the processing time for I-130, and they are already processing forms of 12/16/2002.
    Considering that I filed in the first week of Dec./2002, why haven't they sent any notice to me yet?
    I think it is time for me to get some sort of notice from them.

Can anybody help me understand what's going on?

Thanks!

Where did you get the processing times for LA? Are you perhaps confusing those with the California Service Center Processing times? It is two different things. Did you mail it to the service center or drop it off at 600 S. Los Angeles St?

I got the processing times updates at this site.
    I thought LA Service Center and California Service Center reported the same timetable.

If not, where can I get to know about the dates they are processing at LA Service Center?
    By the way, I mailed my forms at Los Angeles District Office (300, N. Los Angeles Street).

Thanks for your help!

to Upset:

The processing times on this site are for the California Service Center (There are five: Nebraska, Missouri, Vermont, Texas and CA). So they don't apply to local district offices.

However, Shusterman posts some approximate wait times at district offices:
    http://www.shusterman.com.aos3.html#22

it says:
    LOS ANGELES
    Permanent Residence - Adjustment of Status
    Filing Until Approval (With Interview) 183 Days
    Work Permit ("Employment Authorization Document") 50 Days
    Travel Permit ("Advanced Parole") 28 - 42 Days

I went to the LA INS website, and it said that you could mail in the I-485 + others. I actually walked mine in, so I got a register-styled receipt. They may be backlogged, I would write a letter of inquiry I guess. But I was only turning in I-130.

Maybe we can help more if we know your situation. You entered this country legally? When, what visa are you on? And you married a US citizen? If you give us a few more details, we may be able to help you further.

Also, I forgot to say, 6 months in terms of immigration may not really be all that long. Many people wait years! Friends of mine applied with the same package as you in October in La, they only just had their interview in April. It will take longer to get the Green card

My AOS application (in California) was filed in August 2000, and the interview was just a couple of weeks ago, April 2003. All questions about why it took so long were answered by the INS with that "we don't care and enjoy not caring" smile. So be prepared to wait a few months, or a few years, if that's what's in store for you. Nevertheless, good luck...

Guest,

I married an American Citizen,and I've always entered this country through inspection, that is, I've always been legal while staying here.

What upsets me is that immigration services in LA don't seem to follow a clear criteria/schedule for processing the applications.

I've got to know about other people(acquaintances of mine) who also married AC and filed for AOS at different/same time, at the same place(local district offices in LA)and they all got their EAD around one month after applying.
    They've already been called for fingerprinting and soon are expected to have their interview.

I've been to the local office in LA twice, in person, trying to get track of my situation, but all I got to listen from the immigration officers was that I should wait.

Certainly, I filed inquiries in the last 2-3 months(both in person and by phone), I even paid a lawyer who also submited an inquiry to the local office in LA, but so far I've got no reply from the INS.

They may not care about immigrant aliens, but letting people know about their legalization process is not a matter of caring.

Again, thanks for your help!!!!

Why not contact your local congress person? They can file a congressioal inquiry and may find out more than you have been able to.

i am in the same boat with my local office. (boston)

i called the BCIS 800# and requested an inquiry (takes three-four weeks).

could this have anything to do with the march 1st changeover from INS to BCIS? i would think there would be quit an impact. as a bookkeeper, i've been through the chaos of one business changing to another. it's even worse if there is a shuffling of employees.