1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: false and misleading info.

Hi,
    I need some help with form N-400!
    I'm ready to apply for citizenship. I complete the form N-400 , but I didn't send it yet.

Problem : I realized that I made a stupid mistake in the past. What's this mistake about?
    See form N-400 Part 10 question 8( "Have you ever been a member or associated with any organization, association, party...") and 9.a. ("Have you ever been a member of or in any way associated- directly or indirectly- with The Communist Party?")
    I'm from East Europe and as everybody knows we been under a communist regime since the end of World War 2. Because of that as a teenager I was forced to join the Youth Communist Union- which is not the Communist Party itself- (15 years old till 20 y.o.) and the Pioneer Organization (7 y.o. till 14 y.o.)
    Also, I was member of Social Democrat Youth Organization between 94-95( for few months) and a Sport Club where I was member practicing water polo.
    I was a member of a pioneer organization in elementary school ( 8-14 y.o.)
    When I asked INS officers what's the best way to answer those two questions (Part 10, question 8 and 9.a.) they told me to answer "yes" to both of them and give further explanation on separate piece of paper. And that's exactly what I did, although I never was member of The Communist Party and I never considered myself a communist.
    Then I realized that 3 years ago, when I applied for immigrant visa based on marriage with a US citizen, the form (I don't remember the name of it) had the same 2 questions and my answer to those questions was "No"!
    I really don't know what I was thinking when I did that stupid mistakes, because was nothing to be afraid of to reveal, nothing illegal about it and every officer from the US Embassy knew that every young man was forced to be a member of those stupid organizations.
    I thought that those two questions are for the notorious communists or people that have been deeply involved in organization, not someone like me.
    Now, because in the form N-400 Part 10 had the question 23("Have you ever give false or misleading info to any US Gov official while applying for any immigration benefit...?") and 24 ("Have you ever lied to any US Gov official to gain entry or admission into the US?") I'm scared to death to apply for citizenship, because they will think of me that I lied and mislead.
    I can blame on the fact that US Embassy officers they don't help you with the form, is hard to reach them on the telephone and if you reach them they don't care to give you too much information. But here in US there is a toll free number and they help you answering your specific question, and the helped me to fill the form N-400.
    What I'm supposed to do to repair this stupid mistake and became a US citizen?
    What are the risks when applying for citizenchip?

Hi,
    I need some help with form N-400!
    I'm ready to apply for citizenship. I complete the form N-400 , but I didn't send it yet.

Problem : I realized that I made a stupid mistake in the past. What's this mistake about?
    See form N-400 Part 10 question 8( "Have you ever been a member or associated with any organization, association, party...") and 9.a. ("Have you ever been a member of or in any way associated- directly or indirectly- with The Communist Party?")
    I'm from East Europe and as everybody knows we been under a communist regime since the end of World War 2. Because of that as a teenager I was forced to join the Youth Communist Union- which is not the Communist Party itself- (15 years old till 20 y.o.) and the Pioneer Organization (7 y.o. till 14 y.o.)
    Also, I was member of Social Democrat Youth Organization between 94-95( for few months) and a Sport Club where I was member practicing water polo.
    I was a member of a pioneer organization in elementary school ( 8-14 y.o.)
    When I asked INS officers what's the best way to answer those two questions (Part 10, question 8 and 9.a.) they told me to answer "yes" to both of them and give further explanation on separate piece of paper. And that's exactly what I did, although I never was member of The Communist Party and I never considered myself a communist.
    Then I realized that 3 years ago, when I applied for immigrant visa based on marriage with a US citizen, the form (I don't remember the name of it) had the same 2 questions and my answer to those questions was "No"!
    I really don't know what I was thinking when I did that stupid mistakes, because was nothing to be afraid of to reveal, nothing illegal about it and every officer from the US Embassy knew that every young man was forced to be a member of those stupid organizations.
    I thought that those two questions are for the notorious communists or people that have been deeply involved in organization, not someone like me.
    Now, because in the form N-400 Part 10 had the question 23("Have you ever give false or misleading info to any US Gov official while applying for any immigration benefit...?") and 24 ("Have you ever lied to any US Gov official to gain entry or admission into the US?") I'm scared to death to apply for citizenship, because they will think of me that I lied and mislead.
    I can blame on the fact that US Embassy officers they don't help you with the form, is hard to reach them on the telephone and if you reach them they don't care to give you too much information. But here in US there is a toll free number and they help you answering your specific question, and the helped me to fill the form N-400.
    What I'm supposed to do to repair this stupid mistake and became a US citizen?
    What are the risks when applying for citizenchip?

deport illegal aliens

I think that if you explain the situation to BCIS as you have here (i.e., when you appeared for the green card interview, you thought the questions referred to senior Party members, not everyday citizens who were forced to associate with the Party in all kinds of everyday activities), the interviewer will not hold the error against you. The information was not withheld with the intent of deceiving anyone, it was stated incorrectly because you did not properly understand the question at the time. BCIS sees similar changes often, when applicants will remember an arrest or minor criminal charge that they forgot when they completed the application. As long as the facts would not have barred you from immigrating, correcting the record on the N-400 should not cause any problems.

All naturalization applicants are interviewed, so you will have a chance to make your case in person, as well as on paper. Just state the facts clearly on the N-400 when you file, note that you indicated a different answer on the immigrant application, and explain why. The interviewer may not even bring it up.

to "r" - it is disengenuous to blame the consular staff because you may have lied or filled out some forms incorrectly. Who has the body of knowledge about your prior activities? the consular folks? How? Stop whining and blaming others because you were reluctant to fill out some papers properly. If they had helped and there were mistakes, once again you would blame them for those mistakes. Any mistakes made on these forms were YOUR fault - you kenw what the correct answers or responses were and refused to give them. The person to blame is the person looking back at you in the mirror.

R, you got this far and it has not been a problem. You answered your own question. Have you ever been a member of the communist party. No you have not. You answered correctly when you said no. So dont worry about the pioneers you were forced into.

i wish i would have such problems as you do!...you are making a big thing from nothing!
    i agree with "krys" you say "NO" and that's it

I agree. The fact is, it is unlikely that the person reviewing your NATZ application is going to notice or make an issue out of this. If they do ask you about it, just explain as you did here that at the time you filled out your Green Card application you didn't realize these groups were relevant.

As for the other questions you pointed out, I would not necessarily check them "yes," because I think they are premised on the idea that you INTENTIONALLY lied or misled someone to get an immigration benefit. It doesn't sound like you INTENTIONALLY lied or misled anybody about anything; at worst, you didn't understand the question properly and/or made an honest mistake. If you feel you must check them "yes," then give a complete explanation; but if it were me, I would check them "no."

Part of the reason for that is (although I am not sure) I think the officer giving the NATZ interview will probably go through the list and ask you for your answer in person; I would check these "no," and when the officer goes through the list, bring it up then that you thought you may have made an honest mistake on your earlier application. Combined with the explanation of the memberships, I think the officer would leave your answers to these questions unchanged without further comment.

If you were really a liar, you would never have revealed your memberships at all. Instead, you would be crowing and bragging that you had "pulled one over on the INS." The fact that you are divulging them on your NATZ application (and also the fact that you are so worried about this) just goes to show that you are trying to play by the rules and are proceeding in good faith. I think anyone from the BCIS who reviews your case and is at all reasonable (and, in my experience, the vast majority of them are) is going to see that the same way.

To my old friend USC, keep in mind this is someone who appears to have been trying to follow the rules (i.e., they are a LEGAL immigrant). This would be an example of an area where the immigration laws are a bit on the complicated side; I think that a lot of people could reasonably look at that question and answer "no" on the theory that they did not consider themselves a member of the communist party, even though their name was involuntarily listed as a member by some party organization. For example, let's say the Sierra Club decided to add me as a "member;" even if I got a notice from them saying "congrulations on your complimentary membership," couldn't I reasonably answer "no" if I was asked if I was a member of the Sierra Club? And don't be too harsh on this fellow for the point about the embassy staff; I think he was just saying that it was a lot easier to get help filling out the paperwork here (which it is, thanks to the BCIS' 800 number), and used the word "blame" for lack of know a better word to express that formal guidance was not available to him. He was also filling out a form in English, which he probably did not know as well at the time.

to Whodat: it is tiresome to hear from those who believe (erroneously) that consular staff are supposed to dot every "i" and cross every "t" on a form that they (the staff) does not need to fill out, on behalf of those who, I believe, are looking for a way out in case of a "mix-up." Especially on questions that ask a specific point about the applicant - and that may be subject to interpretation. It is one thing to clarify about, say, someone's address or whose name goes in what box; it is quite another to have embassy personnel analyze questions like our poster described, have the consular staff take time away from processing completed cases, to reinterpret the "correct" responses so that the applicant can farm out the blame in case of some "inaccurate" answers.
    Applicants have responsibility in this regard.
    There just isn't enough consular staff going around, especially in light of the new requirement I read about, where virtually all visa applicants must be interviewed personally.
    Who is going to pay for the extra people to "help" answer difficult questions on visa forms? If the applicant, well, how much will an application cost? $300? $500?
    I believe that when a question is open to interpretation, the applicant bears the sole responsibility to interpret same, and supply a response they believe is correct - without consulting a 3rd party who does NOT have authority nor liability in this type of situation.
    ONly this poster knows the exact answers to the questions she talked about - no one else.
    And yes, visa forms are complex - especially in another language, but............

That's fair enough. Its true that its up to the respondents to answer the questions as truthfully and accurately as possible. Actually, the fact that they will be interviewing everyone from now on (I actually thought they interviewed most everyone anyway already) should actually help with this, since a person who has a question like this could simply bring it up at the interview and get pretty much instant clarification. If they are like this poster and really don't have anything to hide, then the problem can get ironed out right there; if the officer thinks the answer should really be different, they can just have the immigrant change it on the spot and initial the same.