50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citizenship eligibility info (I am really depressed need help)

Hi,

I am a permanent resident and have two kids who also have green cards. But unfortunately my husband does not have a greencard since I got married after I got my greencard. Now I am away from my husband for past 2 years. Applied for his I-130 but it takes a long time to get approved. My children miss their dad and keep asking about him all the time. I am really depressed with the whole situation and tired of waiting, don't know if there is any way my spouse could come here. V visa could have been an option if I had petitioned for him before dec 2000.

Now the only option I have is to apply for citizenship,so I could bring my husband here soon. But I am not sure if I am eligible or for citizenship or not. Since past 5 years 1999 to 2003, I was coming to U.S only to maintain my PR status staying for a month, and then out of country for the rest of the period (as then my kids were too small and it was difficult for me to stay without my spouse). It was not until june 2001 that I decided to move here, and actually continuously resided since then. So in dec 2003 it will be 2.5 years of continuous residency, but I have actually disrupted my
    my continuous residency requirement by staying out of the country for more than six months before 2001. Can I still apply for citizenship in dec? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mandy

Hi,

I am a permanent resident and have two kids who also have green cards. But unfortunately my husband does not have a greencard since I got married after I got my greencard. Now I am away from my husband for past 2 years. Applied for his I-130 but it takes a long time to get approved. My children miss their dad and keep asking about him all the time. I am really depressed with the whole situation and tired of waiting, don't know if there is any way my spouse could come here. V visa could have been an option if I had petitioned for him before dec 2000.

Now the only option I have is to apply for citizenship,so I could bring my husband here soon. But I am not sure if I am eligible or for citizenship or not. Since past 5 years 1999 to 2003, I was coming to U.S only to maintain my PR status staying for a month, and then out of country for the rest of the period (as then my kids were too small and it was difficult for me to stay without my spouse). It was not until june 2001 that I decided to move here, and actually continuously resided since then. So in dec 2003 it will be 2.5 years of continuous residency, but I have actually disrupted my
    my continuous residency requirement by staying out of the country for more than six months before 2001. Can I still apply for citizenship in dec? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mandy

Probably not--an Indian friend of mine held a green card and lived here continuously for 12 years without applying for citizenship. He lost his job, took one overseas, and was out of the country for a couple of years (maintaining his PR status). Immigration told him he would have to return to the US and stay continuously for another 2 1/1 years before he could apply.

Check with a lawyer--I'm not one.

Hey everyone,

This is really important for me, I am affected very badly due to this. Need more response and suggestions from you, any attorneys here could provide some input?

Thanks in advance.

Mandy:

When did you apply I-130 for your husband. Please provide receitp date.

Hi: Mandy:

Its a time consuming process. I am not sure Tak is an Attorney or not, you will have to collect all documents, since your marriage.
    Once you have this then write back we will see what can we do to help you.
    Some one was talking to me about the similler type of case, are you from Hydrabad.

Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet, hope this would help.

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...&DebugLevel=2b

Hi Everyone,

I thank everybody for their response.
    First I am from Delhi and not from hyderabad.
    I applied for my spouses I-130 in Nov 2001.
    Here is my story :
    I came to US in Aug 1992 on a family based immigration. I stayed here for a year and then went back to india in Sep 1993 to get married to the person I was in love with. I took a 2 year re-entry permit. I came back to US in 1996 Feb with my two children, who were granted greencard at the port of entry. I stayed here for a month and then went back to india with a two year reentry permit. Then I came again in 1998 for 2 months, this time did not take a reentry permit. After that I came every year in 1999 and 2000 to maintain my PR status. And finally in 2001 june I decided to settle here. And since then I have been living continuously.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Mandy

Hi:
    Mandy you have lived in the United States for only 17months only.
    You arrived in US in Aug.1992, left sept.1993
    since 1998 you were mainting your residency only.
    You have a long wait. Total time required is 5years,you can file your N-400 6month before. You need 43 months more before you can Natrulized as citizen.