free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: address change question

I have I-485 pending.
    Now I moved from one city to another city. And I informed BCIS my address change. I got notice
    from them that they have updated my address.
    But I have not requested them to transfer
    my case to the new BCIS office nearby where I am
    living now.
    I am not sure if they will transfer my case to
    the new BCIS office anyway regardless I ask or not.
    Any advice will be appreciated.

I have I-485 pending.
    Now I moved from one city to another city. And I informed BCIS my address change. I got notice
    from them that they have updated my address.
    But I have not requested them to transfer
    my case to the new BCIS office nearby where I am
    living now.
    I am not sure if they will transfer my case to
    the new BCIS office anyway regardless I ask or not.
    Any advice will be appreciated.

If you are looking to add more time and headache to the waiting process.. then that is exactly what will happen if you request to have the file transferred to another office. How far away from the original filing office are you? If you have an Interview date set up already and if the location is not more than 2 hours away, I suggest that you complete everything at the office where u filed ur applications. Where is the office where u filed? and where did you move to. This could make a difference however. You should know that some BCIS offices are not as busy as others and may process your paperwork sooner than another one would have. Just consider the factors before you make the decision to transfer your file

Thank you for your information.
    I was in Texas and now in Ohio. Nebraska center has shorter processing time than Texas one, maybe 6 months shorter, to process I-485. However, I would rather to let my case stay in Texas than to ask BCIS transfer it Nebraska, as you suggested avoiding file transfer headache.
    I already told Texas center that my address was changed but I haven't asked them to transfer my file to my new residence nearby.
    My question and concern is : if Texas will transfer my case to Nebraska or even a local BCIS office anyway without my requesting them to do so.

no they wont transfer unless you ask them to do so.

I moved from MA to NC;MA is under Vermont and NC is under Texas center. I did not ask them to move my file and they sent me notice for interview which as you all know is 15 hours drive.

I took a plane to Boston and did the interview and now am applying to remove conditions I sent paperwork to Texas so they will ask for the file from Boston or Vermont.

Anyhow, please note that unless you ask them to move your file, they cannot do so and I strongly advice you not to ask for them to move your file. I know someone whose file got lost in the moving process and he had to start all the paperwork all over again and it was because of that that I did not ask for the move of file.

If you ask for movement of the file, be ready to trace it yourself because they never tell you when they move the file, and they cannot track the file for you.

Please dont mess with moving the file. You will regret it, if your file gets lost.

The person I know wasted about 3.5 years because no one could locate his file and he had to wait for any little request he would make in trying to trace the file.

Thank you so much for your information.
    Another question I have is: did you ever tell INS that your
    address change?

I have a co-worker whose original file was in California, and then he moved to Ohio. He asked to have his file transferred to the local office, and they lost it. He has now been trying to have this worked out for over 5 years. He has traveled to California several time because of asking to have his file transferred.