publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: GC Question : Can i file from different state ?

Hello Gurus,
    I work in california and am yet to file a GC.
    Is it legal to file get a LC from a different state ( with faster processing) and then file I-140 and I-485 from there and still work out of california?
    This will be filed as future hire/placement.

If not, then can i file from a different state and show that i am in that state but actually work from california.
    This is probably against the law but should i take this risk?

Please help

Hello Gurus,
    I work in california and am yet to file a GC.
    Is it legal to file get a LC from a different state ( with faster processing) and then file I-140 and I-485 from there and still work out of california?
    This will be filed as future hire/placement.

If not, then can i file from a different state and show that i am in that state but actually work from california.
    This is probably against the law but should i take this risk?

Please help

You must file in the state where you reside or the file will just be transferred there once they find out. You don't want to fly in for an interview only to have the interviewer tell you that you live in California so the file will be sent there after you've waited several hours to be seen do you? Lot's of people try this and then get frustrated when they are turned away. Think about it....if you could do that why would ANYONE file in California or any other major city with large immigrant populations? There are some places that are so small that they process less than 100 gc applications a year! Wouldn't everyone like to have an application processed there? Don't try and be slick.....just follow the rules. Do you know what happens to files that get transferred to different districts? They get your application off-track. In the worst-case scenario sometimes for a year or more. Do the right thing.

Thanks for your advice BronzeLady.
    Just playing the devil's advocate here, please bear with me.
    How will they find out?
    I will keep an address in that state, have medical insurance from that state etc
    I am a consultant, i travel most of the times.
    Do you still think no?
    Is there a concept of future hire?

paystubs have addresses on them, tax forms, job letters will tell where you work (job letters for employment based apps must be detailed), etc.

When someone is a consultant job letters, tax forms, etc. could reflect an address that the person does not actually live at (or stay at the majority of the time). The company they're consulting for may provide housing for them on a temporary basis, such as corporate apt., etc., in the city where the corporate office is but the person may actually claim home address to be something else and may actually only receive mail at that address. Is this the situation, vncoolest?

I don't know the answer to that, I was just trying to see if saying it a different way might clarify things for some people that would know.