free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: GreenCard Renewal, I90 - extension sticker

HI all,

My wife has filed for a renewal to her greencard (form I90) however, we have had to also file a fee waiver due to being destitute. Our problem is this, we are waiting for the acceptance of the waiver and hope to get the extension sticker as we need to cross into Mexico to be able to access her family so that we can eat, barrow the car for job search etc. etc. I've been told by other people that we may not get the immediate sticker extension but yet everything I've been reading says that is normal procedure of the INS to provide this. We're affraid to cross and take the chance crossing back with the expired card without extension, any information regarding this wil be greatly apreciated, thanks

T. Thomas

HI all,

My wife has filed for a renewal to her greencard (form I90) however, we have had to also file a fee waiver due to being destitute. Our problem is this, we are waiting for the acceptance of the waiver and hope to get the extension sticker as we need to cross into Mexico to be able to access her family so that we can eat, barrow the car for job search etc. etc. I've been told by other people that we may not get the immediate sticker extension but yet everything I've been reading says that is normal procedure of the INS to provide this. We're affraid to cross and take the chance crossing back with the expired card without extension, any information regarding this wil be greatly apreciated, thanks

T. Thomas

I cannot answer your question directly; however, I can say that you should not cross the border without proper proof of status. You could find yourself stuck on the wrong side of the border for a very long time.

my card had expired in '94 and it was very difficult and strenous to come back when I left for my father's funeral (the card was only expired like 2 months or so). But I was not allowed back on the plane first to fly back together with my U.S. spouse and then I had to go to the U.S. consulate, fight with thousands of others to be able to go in. I got a special visa, but it was just for a limited period. Back in the U.S. I went through extensive questioning (almost missed my connecting flight) was scheduled for another interview in a far away city (4+ hours away) etc.

It is my understanding that it is stricter and even more complicated now...

My dad renewed his card last year the sticker was put on the card on the spot(good for six months) He was advised by the person that put the sticker on the card to wait for the new card before traveling to Mexico..good luck

The following is questions and answers found numerous legal websites and each state the same including the INS site that the temporary evidence of status sticker extends the greencard as valid. Are these websites wrong including the INS it self???? or does it not actually extend it??

AS FOUND FROM LEGAL WEBSITE FOR INS:
    Q. How can I obtain temporary proof of status while I wait to receive my new Green Card?

A. When you come in to renew your Green Card, INS will review your application package on-the-spot for completeness and accuracy. If all is in order, INS will attach a sticker to your expiring/expired Green Card to extend the validity of the card, and return it to you to use as temporary proof of status. The attached sticker will have two hole-punches through the appropriate month and year, indicating how long this temporary proof of status will be valid. When your application is approved, INS will mail you your new Green Card that will be valid for 10 years.

in 1998, I filed to renew my GreenCard, I sent the fee and the application. Almost 7 months I didn't receive my Gcard, and I had to travel overseas, so I went to the ins office and they checked my status, and they told me that they sent it on time " which I didn't receive" they checked my address and it was correct. So, I went overseas with expired green card and after a month I came back, and I had no question asked by the INS officer. I think because my application was approved, and that's why the officer didn't want to bother creating a problem for me, or may be I was lucky hehe.
    My best advice to anyone is not to leave with an expired Green card, since lots of things has been changed lately, and be patience.