publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: do foreign students benefit from the amnesty?

Hi folks,

Recently I read a lot about the presidents new proposal. It also seems that many people think amnesty is comming up as well. I know it's still not certain, but I would like to know if I can benefit from the amnesty somehow and wether it's worth waiting for.

Here's the plan. Please tell me if you think is a good plan:

1) terminate my OPT/F1 status
    2) look for a job that does not ask for the documents
    3) wait for the amnesty

I've been a student for 5 years and I'd love to stay in this country. There are some mixed opinions about the issue. For example, if I do stick around for the amnesty, I will have to get a job, which means giving my SSN, which means breaking the law (F1 student SSN is not authorized for employment), which means I might have troubles in future should I ever get married or sponsored through an employer.

On the other hand, noone seems to care about a few students breaking a little law, and employers almost never ask for the actual SSN card (yes, the number could even be FAKE, don't you think so?)

Lawyers don't seem to help, they never call back. I'd really appreciate your experience and/or any advices you might have. What's the best thing to do? Thanks a million!

Oh, one more thing. I know it's not current yet but does anyone know how does the actual amnesty take place? Is there a form for it?

Hi folks,

Recently I read a lot about the presidents new proposal. It also seems that many people think amnesty is comming up as well. I know it's still not certain, but I would like to know if I can benefit from the amnesty somehow and wether it's worth waiting for.

Here's the plan. Please tell me if you think is a good plan:

1) terminate my OPT/F1 status
    2) look for a job that does not ask for the documents
    3) wait for the amnesty

I've been a student for 5 years and I'd love to stay in this country. There are some mixed opinions about the issue. For example, if I do stick around for the amnesty, I will have to get a job, which means giving my SSN, which means breaking the law (F1 student SSN is not authorized for employment), which means I might have troubles in future should I ever get married or sponsored through an employer.

On the other hand, noone seems to care about a few students breaking a little law, and employers almost never ask for the actual SSN card (yes, the number could even be FAKE, don't you think so?)

Lawyers don't seem to help, they never call back. I'd really appreciate your experience and/or any advices you might have. What's the best thing to do? Thanks a million!

Oh, one more thing. I know it's not current yet but does anyone know how does the actual amnesty take place? Is there a form for it?

My friend, better not abandon your visa and wait for santa claus to bring you a christmas present or throw you a pie from the sky...
    You will ever regret falling out of status.

Don't jump out of the ship without reaching the final destination ... or you will be left out in the middle of journey ...no where.... Its not a good idea at all.... U better concentrate to get a job that can bring you GC if you badly want to stay here...Good luck....Pasha

Oh brother Amnesty.. Yea also the Easter Bunny called to say keep all your eggs in 1 basket, The Tooth ***** said there money for u ..Dont tell next u believed it when u came here that money falls out the sky and u can have any woman u want. Meanwhile I have some swampland in Arizona I can sell u. Get a grip.

Stay the course legally. If you happen to meet someone you want to marry. then do so and adjust thru marriage. Dont be foolish and waste your 5 yrs. if not finish school, go back home and get work visa.

Dont even look for the proposal to pass let alone a blanket amnesty.

4now:

> Dont tell next u believed it when u came here that money falls out the sky and u can haveany woman u want.

Yes, that's exactly what I believed... lol

And by the way, I did finish the school. Now I'm "doing" the OPT.

to bubbling:

do not abandon your F-1 status waiting for the amnesty.

If you do work illegally or overstay, it is forgiven only if you marry a citizen and not get caught and deported before your adjustment of status is approved.

That does not sound like a good idea at all. Do not mess things up by doing something illegal.
    Have a nice day

stay legal for now. As soon as the amnesty is made into law -- then quickly jump ship into the illegal zone.

Also try to stay in the country. Once the amnesty is announced. The US will be tough as NAILS at letting people in, for obvious reasons.

-= nav =-

What "amnesty". Bush's plan would give temporary work visas for 3-year stretches, with, he claims, an end. Your visa would also be tied to a job no American wanted--you most likely wouldn't be able to work in your field, or change jobs much less careers easily. You'd still have to apply for GC the normal way, with sponsorship and income requirements. Along with all the millions already illegal. Plus, without massive increase in number of GCs (highly unlikely) and money for processing improvements, you wouldn't get the GC before your temporary visa expired. Better, as another posted, to try for an H1-B, L-1, or marriage.