50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Going home witha GC

Hi, I've got a conditional greencard and now I'm looking to travel for two weeks to my home country in Eastern Europe. Is just a stamp I-551 in my passport enough? Is the country where I am supposed to switch planes going to mind me being there? DO I need a visa for this country?
    Can a greencard holder get a 3/10 year ban for overstaying visa in the past?

Hi, I've got a conditional greencard and now I'm looking to travel for two weeks to my home country in Eastern Europe. Is just a stamp I-551 in my passport enough? Is the country where I am supposed to switch planes going to mind me being there? DO I need a visa for this country?
    Can a greencard holder get a 3/10 year ban for overstaying visa in the past?

I also went out of the country in Dec 2002 and for all intent and purposes, conditional PR=Actual PR. They dont even check whether your green card is conditional or not. They just swipe it at the airport and tell you "Welcome home".

If you plan to be away for more than 4 months, I hear its always good to obtain advance parole before you leave, so that they dont think that you have abandoned your permanent residence. Its valid for 2 years ie you can stay out of country for 2 years with advance parole (why would anyone be away for so long?)

But theres nothing like a ban for a green card holder.

Thank you. You answered most of my questions, but just one more thing: I was wandering about the I-551 in the passport and if it is enough to show on my way back or my country wouldn't let me. I actually have my green card but my last name is different and the only way for me to change it is to go back home and go thru a long procedure which I don't have the time for right now? Is passport with old name, GC with new name and a marriage certificate enough?

Why is your last name different? At what stage did your name change? Are you talking about new name coz of marrige? If thats the case, then thats not a problem at all coz its your last name that should be hyphenated on the green card.

My experience was that those guys dont even look at your passport and compare to green card. All they did is look at the pictures on both I551 or actual green card and the passport to ensure both were mine.

What you can do is carry ALL YOUR PAPERWORK when you go home, then get your passport that matches your green card, but make sure you preserve all documentation of what you do.

I think you should be fine.

Hey and by the way when you return to America, remember to line up on the US citizens lines. The other option is the visitors line and its almost 95% of people on the plane most of the time. So if you go on the wrong line, you will wait like 1 hour then realize you are on the wrong line.

thanks justo. yeah, my last name is different because of marriage, but unfortunately i did not do the hyphenated thing I hope i'll be ok and not confined forever back home.

Hey talk to a lawyer about this. I think you may need to do an affidavit and have it notarized and carry it with you "just in case".

I would also carry a document like a birth certificate, social security card and driver's license. Make sure you get a new driver's license with your new name, and the old one or copy of the old one so that they can see its the same person.

Thats what I would do coz these people at the airports at times can decide to be difficult with you and you wanna be ready when that happens. It also gives you peace of mind on the trip.