free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Working for yourself on H1?

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone may be able to give me some advice regarding the following.

My Husband is a Civil Engineer and he has been told that he can work for himself under an employment based visa. Is this correct?

Hope someone may be able to help.

All the best.
    Bushbaby

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone may be able to give me some advice regarding the following.

My Husband is a Civil Engineer and he has been told that he can work for himself under an employment based visa. Is this correct?

Hope someone may be able to help.

All the best.
    Bushbaby

Make sure it's not considered fraud. Working while not allowed may get you easily into trouble, as opposed to the case when one has engaged in marriage fraud.

Hi there.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly 'KevinL'.

What I am asking is:
    Can a person set up a US corporation as a foreign national and then get that US corporation to sponsor that individual to work for the company on an H1B? E.g. Let's assume that the foreign national sets up a US corporation which is a dental practice and then gets this US dental pratice to employ him on an H1B visa as a dentist. (Naturally he would be a fully qualified dentist.)

If the above is possible can this same company also sponsor the person on the H1B visa for a Green card at a later stage?

Thanks.

I think the rules say that a corporation cannot be set up only to sponsor a person. It must be set up for making money.

Also, once you set up the company, it has to reach a certain level of income and be around for a certain amount of time before it can get permisssion to sponsor people.

Bushbaby,

I found some official link where you may find your answer:

http://www.usembassy.hu/conseng/immi...tml#categories

I copied here the information which can be the most important to you. Your point will be the last one - investors:
    "(II) EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS:

At least 140,000 immigrant visas (sub-limitations listed in parentheses) are available on an employment basis, divided into five preference groups:

Priority Workers: People of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics; outstanding professors and researchers; and certain multinational executives and managers (40,000).

Members of the Professions: Professionals holding advanced degrees, and persons of exceptional ability in the sciences, arts and business (40,000).

Professionals, Skilled and Unskilled Workers: Professionals holding baccalaureate degrees, skilled workers with at least two years experience, and other workers whose skills are in short supply in the United States (40,000). (Unskilled workers are subject to a sub-limit of 10,000).

Special Immigrants: Certain religious workers and ministers of religion, certain international organization employees and their immediate family members, and current and former employees of the US Government (10,000) who have 15 years of service, and their immediate family members.

Investors: Persons who create employment for at least ten unrelated persons by investing capital in a new commercial enterprise in the United States. The minimum amount of capital required is normally $1,000,000, depending upon the unemployment rate in the geographic area (10,000)."

Take care!