50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: ? for Alex

I am kicking myself for not filing I-130 for my wife via DCF. I came back to the U.S. and filed I-130 and I-129F for k-3 visa. I know the situation at MSC.

So, did I really screw up bad?

Also, why isn't the DCF info available easily on official immigration sites and call center?

I am kicking myself for not filing I-130 for my wife via DCF. I came back to the U.S. and filed I-130 and I-129F for k-3 visa. I know the situation at MSC.

So, did I really screw up bad?

Also, why isn't the DCF info available easily on official immigration sites and call center?

Hi Goldrush,

I'm not certain that this comment/question is really for me, but I would not necessarily say that you screwed up, let alone badly. One of the reasons that there is not a lot of information about DCF out there is that it just isn't available on a worldwide basis. Even where it is available, there may be restrictions on whether you can use it (for instance, my understanding at the moment is that DCF is "available" in the UK, but to use it, the USC has to actually be living there, not just their spouse; so in other words, for most people with a UK fiancee, it is NOT really an option). So, right off the bat, there is a pretty good chance that you couldn't have used DCF anyway.

Also, I have heard widely varying reports about how long DCF actually takes; in some cases, I am not sure it is really that much of an advantage over the K1 or K3 (except that it does result in an immigration visa, which is pretty sweet in an of itself), although in others (most notably India) some of the folks on here have indicated it was incredibly quick (literally a matter of weeks).
    Still, DCF is a great option to consider if it is available.

So, I wouldn't necessarily say you screwed up. And to be honest, even with the current backlog at Missourri, you are still a lot better off than the majority of people who have to go through USCIS processing. I really do think that the current situation at MSC is probably just an anomally, and I am hopeful that the priority date will start moving quickly again soon. Also, though I usually recommend the K1 over the K3 if the couple has not yet married, all other things being equal, the K3 is a manageable process and should work out for you.

In answer to your second question, I think that even the consulates that offer DCF don't necessarily advertise it, because they don't want to get overwhelmed by applications. I don't think USCIS deals with it because, by definition, it is really a way to cut USCIS out of the process (although actually, I think under its "new" arrangement with the Department of State, the Department of Homeland Security is now going to be directly involved in the visa-granting process overseas).

Hope this helps; have a good weekend.

Yours,

Alex Halow
    www.k1fianceevisas.com

Thanks, Alex.

I know ppl who have filed for their spouse from New Delhi, India ... presumably via DCF. It took them about 6 months to come here.

If not for the stupid retrograde at MSC, it would have taken 6 months for me, too. But, now I don't know.

Alex, I noticed in MSC archives that the months of March, May and July showed up, but not April and June. Maybe, thats why they are retrograding. So, how soon do you think they will get to early August, which is when I filed my I-129F.

Also, how long is the procedure after my I-129F is approved?

Thanks for all you help, man. Pls reply this msg if you can.

Hey Goldrush,

You know, before the retrograde, they were only running about 2 months behind. It is really hard to say how soon they will catch up (the whole "retrograde" thing is really just a guess by me at this point; I haven't actually tried to contact the MSC and ask, though if I get a chance I will try to do so). Usually after a retrograde, there is kind of a pause for a month or two, and then they catch up really rapidly.

After its approved, it will hopefully be a matter of just a few more months, but a lot depends on how busy the consulate you are working with is. Hopefully, they are not too busy. The NVC part of the process should only take between 4 - 6 weeks, but things may be getting worse there.

Yours,

Alex Halow