free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Got blindsided at interview

Got blindsided at interview

Hi, I have checked out the forum on few previous occasions but never posted.
    So, yesterday I had an interview about my spouse becoming a permanent resident. We have been married for ten years (this coming August), have two kids, bought a house together, filed taxes jointly for the better part of those 10 years and met about 15 years ago.
    We went well prepared with documentation, about a million pictures, dragging our kids along and anticipating pretty much any possible question under the sun about our relationship. Everything started fine with general questions about copies of documents, where we met etc.. All the expected regular stuff. And then they make my wife leave the room with the kids and shine a light on me (not literally) and turn the interview into an interrogation about my past BEFORE my wife.
    I became a permanent resident through my first marriage. I married in early 2000, applied for a GC in 2001 and received my temporary one later in 2001. I met my current wife, but did not date her, in the middle of 2002. In 2002/2003 my dad visited and after spending Christmas with the in laws, advised me that I have a great thing going on and I should not be "playing around" (I had a couple one night stands with my current wife). I did follow his advice and for the rest of 2003 and beginning of 2004 I kept my fly up and had good times with my wife. In the summer of 2004 I had a really bad car accident, which almost crippled me and left me pretty much broke. At this point my relationship with my wife started taking a turn for the worst. These events eventually turned into my longstanding relationship with my current wife. All these events and old marriage were not something I wanted to ever think about, so I did everything possible to forget the 2000-2004 period of my life. Simply, so I can move on with my life. Life happened from then on and I did not get divorced until 2007, although I moved out of state and my first kid was born in 2006.
    So, at my interview yesterday they started asking me about my first wife. When I met her, how long after that we married, what we did.....17 years ago. When We got home we realized that we made a mistake and told them that my accident was in 2003. The problem with this is that it would have meant that I lied when I got my permanent green card about still being with my first wife. I did not lie about anything, just made a mistake when my accident happened (a year after My two year probation expired and almost four years after getting married). There was the IO- a lady and another guy overlooking the whole thing next to her. They got pretty aggressive with their questions about specific dates, months etc in the early 2000s. I repeatedly told them that I don't remember and that I may be off a year. When I finally asked them what is going on, why these questions about my past, when this is supposed to be my wife's interview, I was told by the guy "we are trying to determine if you lied about still being with your first wife when you filed your application for removal of conditions". I am a naturalized US citizen as of 2013. All these things were brought up more than once before in order to get my US citizenship. Why bring it up again now? We have been absolutely honest about everything. I have done everything by the book. Now we are freaking out and wondering what can happen next? I already went through some long buried pictures and things and I called the court where the accident happened. I have pictures proving everything (most are old film with time stamps), old pieces of mail showing I was still residing with my first wife after the removal of conditions and the court records showing my accident in June of 2004.
    What should we expect next and how should we prepare for it?
    Thanks in advance.

Do you have an immigration lawyer? You definitely need one. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who has a nationwide practice writing psychological reports in such instances. If you are denied, perhaps it could be shown in a report that you were extremely traumatized, have PTSD from some of the events in your first marriage, and that's why you couldn't remember the dates, etc. Only a mental health professional writing a report for your case can show this. If your lawyer determines such a report would help you, feel free to contact me at ohilly@hotmail.com My website is www.phyllisgould.com Good luck! Phyllis Gould, LCSW

Thank you for the offer. I will definitely keep it in mind.
    At this point I am not hiring an attorney as I still don't have a reason to do so. I tried to search many different ways about what happens in situation like this, but I can not find anything similar to my case.
    I just need people on here to give some scenarios of what can possibly follow. It was an honest mistake and as if I somehow knew I was making it, I kept saying I don't remember and that I may be off by a year.
    In my personal opinion-based on nothing but logic, it would be plain stupid to charge me with fraud, which from what I've read is pretty much the only thing they can do if they believe I lied on my petition in 2003. It would be pretty easy to be proven in about three paragraphs that I was still very much involved with my first wife at the time.
    I believe (hope) that it is much more likely to receive a letter demanding some additional info or to be asked to appear to a new interview. This should be somewhat easy, as I can prepare properly and once everything is arranged in chronological order I have nothing to hide. I just went to this interview totally unprepared for the approach they took and got startled, confused, intimidated and down right petrified, so I fudged up.
    I need to know if anyone has any experience with situations like this and if anyone can shed some light on what usually happens next?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
    What really bugs me is that didn't just develop as the interview went on its way. It looked like they were after me from the get go.
    Is it normal to have two officers present at the interview?
    If it is not normal, in what situations there are two officers present?