free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Sponsoring or co-sponsoring ADVICE... PLEASE HELP

Exclamation Sponsoring or co-sponsoring ADVICE... PLEASE HELP

I have been asked to be a sponsor/co-sponsor to a friend of a few years. I am seriously considering sponsoring however I have a major concern about possible unforeseen financial responsibility. Any issues I should really strongly consider or are there ways to protect myself?

Does anyone have any advice on how to be a sponsor, but also legally protect yourself.

I was wondering if an agreement with the sponsor and/or the sponsored immigrant waiving any liability to them and seeking indemnification from them if any government agency seeks reimbursement from the co-sponsor for benefits received by the sponsored immigrant would be legal or binding?

How can I help, but not be on the financial hook...or is that not a real worry?

Please help!!!

Sponsors beware

Quote Originally Posted by carmen84 View Post
    I have been asked to be a sponsor/co-sponsor to a friend of a few years. I am seriously considering sponsoring however I have a major concern about possible unforeseen financial responsibility. Any issues I should really strongly consider or are there ways to protect myself?

Does anyone have any advice on how to be a sponsor, but also legally protect yourself.

I was wondering if an agreement with the sponsor and/or the sponsored immigrant waiving any liability to them and seeking indemnification from them if any government agency seeks reimbursement from the co-sponsor for benefits received by the sponsored immigrant would be legal or binding?

How can I help, but not be on the financial hook...or is that not a real worry?

Please help!!!
    In the past, my fiancé sponsored a woman into the country. It is five years later and the woman REFUSES to work but demands that my fiancé pay her financial support of $1200 per month every month. My fiancé refused and suggested she get a job. The woman sued my fiancé and the San Francisco appeals court judge agreed with HER. He said that she does NOT HAVE TO WORK and that my fiancé has to honor the I864 affidavit of support and provide her with the necessary financial support to maintain her at 125% poverty guide line. That means $1200 per month.
    Read the case here
    http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/documents/A145181.PDF
    Also, sponsors are getting sued by the government because their immigrant family members are using benefits such as food stamps and Medicaid

Quote Originally Posted by Crisv View Post
    Also, sponsors are getting sued by the government because their immigrant family members are using benefits such as food stamps and Medicaid
    I haven't heard of a case where a government has actually sued someone.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

there is NO upside for you, but plenty of downside.....run, do not walk, away from this.

A recent court ruling has upheld the binding nature of an I-864, should that document be required for whatever visa the friend is seeking....it will not function in a legal way for a tourist visa, because there is no legal requirement for that visa type. An immigrant visa is the one in which an I-864 may be needed from someone willing to sign their bank accounts away for someone else. Bad idea.