ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Expired green card lost, applied for i-751. Is travel permitted without physical card?

  1. #1

    Angry Expired green card lost, applied for i-751. Is travel permitted without physical card?

    My husband is Japanese, married to me (US citizen) for 3+ years.
    He had a conditional green card with expiration date of 12/31/2016.
    In October 2016, he travelled abroad and his green card was stolen!
    He got a travel document from the consulate so he can return to the U.S. without the physical card. He entered back to the US with no problems.
    He spoke to the USCIS agent over the phone and was recommended to apply for a replacement card (i-90) and submitted it along with the hefty fee.
    It got denied. It was denied due to the expiration date being so close. I wish the USCIS agent did not recommend this so we could have saved some $.
    In any case, he submitted i-751 during the 90 day period prior to his conditional green card expiration date of 12/31/2016.
    He got the i-797c Notice of action letter and just got his ASC appointment complete so his biometrics is done as of today 1/18/2017.
    I hear that if all documentation is sufficient and complete, it could still take 6-8 months to receive the new green card.

    He needs to travel abroad again in the next month. But sounds like he would be denied entry back to the US if he does, because he doesn't have a physical green card handy (even the expired one). How can he travel??

    If he didn't get his green card stolen, he could travel with the expired card and maybe a stamp on a passport (i-551) plus the notice of action letter proving his removal of conditional residency is submitted and being processed.

    But he doesn't have the expired green card and he was denied getting a replacement of it! (i-90).

    This is awful, please provide advice!

  2. #2
    Get an InfoPass appointment to go in to your local USCIS office and get an I-551 stamp.

Similar Threads

  1. Travel on Green Card(expired AP)
    By sivarampp in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 10:26 PM
  2. Applied for DV green card lottery before and seeking TN status
    By DaniA in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM
  4. expired travel permit/g.card issues
    By zara in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 10:59 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 11:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: