50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long before you can apply for US Citizenship?

I entered as a K-1 Visa and got married a month after I got here in America. I've been here for almost 7 years and still married with the same man for 7 almost years now and we have 2 kids. We didn't do the Adjustment of Status right away because we weren't sure with our marriage before. Anyway, we just applied for Adjustment of Status last week and we're hoping that it won't get denied. My question is, when I get my Green Card, do I have to wait 5 years to apply for Citizenship or can I apply for it right away after I get my Green Card?

I entered as a K-1 Visa and got married a month after I got here in America. I've been here for almost 7 years and still married with the same man for 7 almost years now and we have 2 kids. We didn't do the Adjustment of Status right away because we weren't sure with our marriage before. Anyway, we just applied for Adjustment of Status last week and we're hoping that it won't get denied. My question is, when I get my Green Card, do I have to wait 5 years to apply for Citizenship or can I apply for it right away after I get my Green Card?

brandhey welcome, the information you seek is on the USCIS website. However to answer your question, in case you are approved, then you will have to wait until you have been a legal resident for at least 2 years. To my knowledge there is no way around that. Unless of course you join the armed forces.

Good luck

Hi Brandhey and welcome to ILW,

It is a shame you didn't adjust status before because you could have become a Citizen by now.

Anyways, your answer is, you can apply for Citizenship through marriage base at 3yrs -90 days from the date that will be on your Green Card.
    You have to stay married until the Oath Ceremony for marriage base.
    If you separate of divorce before then, you will then have to wait until 5yrs -90days to apply.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

I see... Thank you! We didn't do it before because we weren't sure about our marriage and plus, we thought that it was too soon when we got married. When we finally decided to do it, we didn't have any money then to do it because my husband was going to school full time and can't work because of his school.

I understand. Well I hope all goes well for you and your family. I will assume you will get your 10yr Green card as you have been married over 2 yrs already.

Apply for that Citizenship when it is time, at least then you don't have to worry about any more filing with USCIS after that

Good luck
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Another question.....

We applied 2 years ago and we applied for a fee waiver and got approved. I got a letter in the mail saying that I need to pay for the fingerprints because it wasn't covered but the rest are. I went to get my fingerprints done and I when I tried to pay there they said that I'm good to go and I don't need to pay anything so I left. I went home and told my husband about the whole thing and that day we needed some money for some important things so we used the money that was supposed to be for the fingerprints. I know that it was my fault because I didn't read the letter very carefully. I was supposed to send them a money order or cashiers check for it

Few week later, I got a letter saying that I have to pay for the fingerprints or it will get denied. By then, we didn't have anything at all and barely getting by. Friends and relatives couldn't help either. It was a very though day and we couldn't do anything. The next letter we got is the denial notice

I sent them all the paperwork that they need including I-130. Last time I went to the immigration office, I showed them the letter and they said that I don't need to send another I-130 because I already send the INS one before so there's no need for it now. When I was asking this question about citizenship, someone brought up the I-130 and she said that my paperwork will definitely get denied.

I already sent my paperwork last week with the whole thing but the I-130. Is it too late for me to send it to USCIS? I really don't know what to do.

I would send the I-130 ASAP and make sure to put a note somehow so they can put it together with the rest of the package. To my knowledge there is a whole package that has to be sent I-130 I-485 and I-765. They might send you a letter requesting for the I-130 or send a denial notice since you don't have all the documents at which point if that's the case re-submit all the paperwork no matter what those idiots from USCIS will tell you especially from the hotline. Good Luck