50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What form 2 file-if I have been resident for 25 years and have not filed for citzensh

I am wondering if some one can help me ?
    I moved to US in 1983,when i was 7 years old and have lived her since then. I have a green card. When i was 14, both of my parents became citzens. I was led to beleive that since both my parents became citzens & i was under the age of 18 , that i was a citizen and all i had to do was file paperwork when i turned 18. Unfortunalty , being the procrastinator that I am , never filed my application for citzenship.
    Now i am 32 years old, and ready to become citzen , so i can attain US passport and travel .
    I did some research onlline and think that i should file form n600, but I am confused. I called INS and the lady told me, that since i was over 18 on Feb 27, 2001 , That i need to file n400 ?
    Does anyone know what form I should file ,and am i a citizen or what ?
    Your help would be greatly appreciated -
    Thanks
    Newman
    Below in Red is what led me to believe that i should file Form N600- it is taken out of the Guide TO Naturalization form- M-476:

Question 25. If I am a U.S. citizen, is my child a U.S. citizen?
    A child who is born in the United States, or born abroad to a U.S. citizen(s) who lived in
    (or came to) the United States for the required period of time prior to the child’s birth, is
    generally considered a U.S. citizen at birth.
    A child who is:
    • Born to a U.S. citizen who did not live in (or come to) the United States for the
    required period of time prior to the child’s birth, or
    • Born to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent or two alien parents who
    naturalize after the child’s birth, or
    • Adopted (stepchildren cannot derive or acquire citizenship through their stepparents)
    and is permanently residing in the United States can become a U.S. citizen by action of
    law on the date on which all of the following requirements have been met:
    • The child was lawfully admitted for permanent residence*; and
    • Either parent was a United States citizen by birth or naturalization**; and
    • The child was still under 18 years of age; and
    • The child was not married; and
    • The child was the parent’s legitimate child or was legitimated by the parent before
    the child’s 16th birthday (children born out of wedlock who were not legitimated
    before their 16th birthday do not derive United States citizenship through their
    father); and
    • If adopted, the child met the requirements of section 101(b)(1)(E) or (F) of the
    Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and has had a full and final adoption; and
    • The child was residing in the United States in the legal custody of the U.S. citizen
    parent (this includes joint custody); and
    • The child was residing in the United States in the physical custody of the U.S.
    citizen parent.
    <span class="ev_code_RED">If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may submit an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to USCIS to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. (NOTE: A child who meets these requirements before his or her 18th birthday may obtain a passport or Certificate of Citizenship at any time, even after he or she turns 18.)</span>

I am wondering if some one can help me ?
    I moved to US in 1983,when i was 7 years old and have lived her since then. I have a green card. When i was 14, both of my parents became citzens. I was led to beleive that since both my parents became citzens & i was under the age of 18 , that i was a citizen and all i had to do was file paperwork when i turned 18. Unfortunalty , being the procrastinator that I am , never filed my application for citzenship.
    Now i am 32 years old, and ready to become citzen , so i can attain US passport and travel .
    I did some research onlline and think that i should file form n600, but I am confused. I called INS and the lady told me, that since i was over 18 on Feb 27, 2001 , That i need to file n400 ?
    Does anyone know what form I should file ,and am i a citizen or what ?
    Your help would be greatly appreciated -
    Thanks
    Newman
    Below in Red is what led me to believe that i should file Form N600- it is taken out of the Guide TO Naturalization form- M-476:

Question 25. If I am a U.S. citizen, is my child a U.S. citizen?
    A child who is born in the United States, or born abroad to a U.S. citizen(s) who lived in
    (or came to) the United States for the required period of time prior to the child’s birth, is
    generally considered a U.S. citizen at birth.
    A child who is:
    • Born to a U.S. citizen who did not live in (or come to) the United States for the
    required period of time prior to the child’s birth, or
    • Born to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent or two alien parents who
    naturalize after the child’s birth, or
    • Adopted (stepchildren cannot derive or acquire citizenship through their stepparents)
    and is permanently residing in the United States can become a U.S. citizen by action of
    law on the date on which all of the following requirements have been met:
    • The child was lawfully admitted for permanent residence*; and
    • Either parent was a United States citizen by birth or naturalization**; and
    • The child was still under 18 years of age; and
    • The child was not married; and
    • The child was the parent’s legitimate child or was legitimated by the parent before
    the child’s 16th birthday (children born out of wedlock who were not legitimated
    before their 16th birthday do not derive United States citizenship through their
    father); and
    • If adopted, the child met the requirements of section 101(b)(1)(E) or (F) of the
    Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and has had a full and final adoption; and
    • The child was residing in the United States in the legal custody of the U.S. citizen
    parent (this includes joint custody); and
    • The child was residing in the United States in the physical custody of the U.S.
    citizen parent.
    <span class="ev_code_RED">If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may submit an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to USCIS to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. (NOTE: A child who meets these requirements before his or her 18th birthday may obtain a passport or Certificate of Citizenship at any time, even after he or she turns 18.)</span>

Hi Newman and welcome to ILW

As far as I know you could have just gone along with your parents when they were Naturalized with their Certificate to obtain your US passport.
    You said that both your parents Naturalized right? At the same time? And this was before you reached 18?

I would have thought all you need to do is obtain a Certificate (n600) to prove Citizenship if you need paperwork.
    So far all I can see is that you are a USC already through your Naturalized Parents.

This is how the rules changed in 2001:

This law went into effect on February 27, 2001. Children who met these requirements on that day and after automatically became US Citizens. However, if you were older than 18 on this date then you have to meet different requirements in order to get derivative citizenship.

The requirements for children who were 18 prior to February 27, 2001 are as follows:

· BOTH of the child’s parents have to be American citizens by birth or naturalization

· The Child must be under 18 years old

· The child must live in the legal and physical custody of the parents, or of the one US citizen parent if they are divorced.

· The child must have been a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States

The biggest changed in the new law is that only ONE parent has to be a citizen now. Before 2001 BOTH parents had to become citizens. The only exception to the pre-2001 law is that if the parents were legally separated, then the child would gain automatic citizenship if he/she was living in the legal and physical custody of the US citizen parent.

More info and source:
    source
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Newman, have you ever tried obtaining a US passport? Have you tried going to an office with your parents and their Naturalization Certificates to obtain one? I don't know if their US passports would be suffice, but just in case Certificates too.

Before I send off for a certificate, I think I would rather save money and go and see what they say first. Unless there was some other reason or new rule as to why you still can't obtain Citizenship through them, this would make it a lot easier to find out.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is where i am confuse.
    When my parents became citizens, i went with them to INS office and took the oath and all that. But they told my parents and me, that I need to file paperwork when i turned 18.
    In 2001 I was 24 years old , and both my parents were citizens, i had been a resident for nearly 16 years. I know i messed up and should have filed when i was 18 in 1994, but i didnt and want to fix this.
    So what do i do now ? Am i citizen because my parents became citizens Does the N600 rules still apply to me with the new law that went into effect in 2001 ?
    Or do i file N400 and start from scratch ?
    Thanks for responding and any help you can give
    Newman

So what have you been doing, renewing your Green card over the years?

5. Parents Naturalized October 5, 1978 to February 26, 2001

You derived U.S. citizenship if one of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born and never ceased to be a citizen, and your other parent naturalized before your 18th birthday. You must have been unmarried and lawfully admitted as a permanent resident at the time of your parent's naturalization. This law applies to all children, including those who are born outside of marriage and adopted. However, adopted children born before December 29, 1981 or after November 14, 1986 obtain U.S. citizenship only if the adoption occurred before their 16th birthday.

source

Can i apply for US Passport ? And if i can , how do i go about getting one ? I didnt think i could.
    I m sorry , that i am totally clueless about this subject.
    1-I would love to have a US PASSPORT so I can travel.
    &
    2- I need to get my citizenship.

New movie "CROSSING OVER" scared the *&^!@ out of me.

In current times, it is scary not having it. I dont want to be deported if something ever occurred.(not that i'm in trouble or plan on it, just would feel safer.)

SO if you can tell me what the most efficient way of handling Number 1&2 , YOu would be my hero
    Newman

No . I havent renewed green card or done anything. That is why i am a little scared currently .

If what I wrote above applies to you then I would suggest this:

First try by going along with your parents, with their Certificates and US passports if they have them to a Passport office. When you first apply for a US Passport you have to do it in person.

Look online to see what other paperwork you need.

They will be able to tell you whether you need to get further proof or not. If so, then apply for the N600 to obtain a Certificate.