50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about returning to US with unexpired B-2 visa(but changed to F-1 status)

Hi guys! I came to US with my B-2 visa, then my school helped me to send a letter to INS and my "status" was changed to F-1(only extended stay as F-1 status, not a visa change). now I graduated and would like to go back to my country to spend time with my parents. I would like to ask some opinions in chances of returning to US later. few questions below...

my B-2 visa was issued from 1996 to 2006, total 10 years, so does that mean I can come back to US anytime before my tourist B-2 visa expires(2006)? I have this question because my status is changed to F-1(not B-2 anymore even though my visa is still B-2 on my passport)

Does a working permit(OPT) help in returning to US? after I obtain the OPT (work authorization card), am I free to reentry US before the OPT expires?

I never leave US after I came here 7 years ago. It is because people have been telling me that I can't reentry US once I leave US...well I don't understand why they issue an extended stay permission for people but would not permit people reenter US...does anyone know?

okay! thank you! =)

Hi guys! I came to US with my B-2 visa, then my school helped me to send a letter to INS and my "status" was changed to F-1(only extended stay as F-1 status, not a visa change). now I graduated and would like to go back to my country to spend time with my parents. I would like to ask some opinions in chances of returning to US later. few questions below...

my B-2 visa was issued from 1996 to 2006, total 10 years, so does that mean I can come back to US anytime before my tourist B-2 visa expires(2006)? I have this question because my status is changed to F-1(not B-2 anymore even though my visa is still B-2 on my passport)

Does a working permit(OPT) help in returning to US? after I obtain the OPT (work authorization card), am I free to reentry US before the OPT expires?

I never leave US after I came here 7 years ago. It is because people have been telling me that I can't reentry US once I leave US...well I don't understand why they issue an extended stay permission for people but would not permit people reenter US...does anyone know?

okay! thank you! =)

hi! wolverins
    How did you change your B2 into F1 while your here what kind of document your school sent to the INS ?Than you!

ah...this one i really don't remember as it was really a long time ago. all I can tell you is I attended a community college before and I assume my international advisor in school helped me to send my I-20 to INS and probably along with some other documents and a check(of course) to apply change of status.

In return, I recieved a change of status statement from INS indicating that my status was changed from B-2 to F-1 but it also explicitly states that it can only be used as an extended stay status but NOT a visa(you always get a visa from another country).

hope it helps and hope some others could look at my questions above. thanks!

Wolverines, I am sure that OPT work authorization can not be used for re-entry. As it is stated on the work authorization. Hoever, ur B2 visa may work for entry if valid. But u have to keep all the relevant INS documents with u at the time of entry to proof that u were not out of status during previous visit.

If you have been issued a B-2 tourist visa, once you enter the U'S you automatically are in B-2 *visa status.* Once you have been granted a change of status to F-1, you have no longer an B-2 visa status, but an F-1 visa status. Once the F-1 visa status expires, you are out-of-status. If you leave the US and attempt to reenter you won't allowed to do so. If you were in B-1 visa status (and you could have attended that community college very well in that visa status, I promise you!) you'd be able to travel outside the US and reenter without any problem whatsoever (assuming that it was a multiple-entry visa.) As things are, you'd have to apply for a new visa in your home country if you want to return to the US. Be aware however that should you have fallen out-of-status in the US for more than 6 months you won't be able to get a visa for 3 years, if you'll be found by the consular officer to have been for more than 365 days out-of-status you won't be able to get a visa for 10 years.

Hope that helps.

Sorry for the typo...

...If you were in B-2 visa status...

thanks guys,

"hope it helps", then what can I do to prevent myself from "falling out of status"?

as you said, if I leave US now and my F-1 status will expire..then I will be basically fallen out of status. if I apply another visa later on, I will have trouble..is that what you mean? I might be able to apply permanent resident soon(I-130), then...in that case...I will have problem too right?

thanks!

Jewish Immigration

What makes Jews so insane? Well there are too many Russian Jews on the welfare, too many Jews are on Medicare, public housing etc and workin for cash at the same time, taking benefits at the cost of American Christian and hard-working taxpayer.
    In Brooklyn NYC you can find hundreds of Russian Jewish senior citizens selling their food stamps for money at supermarkets.
    You do not see many Jews in prisons because they escape to Israel and there is no extradition of Jewish criminals, murderers to USA. Jewish people have a high regard for education at expense of American naive citizens born in US. Immigrants have preferences over US born citizens when applying for college or university.
    45% of Mexicans never get out of high school because unlike Russian Jews they can not get legal in US. Jews come here already as "refugees" continue to be in status until they get a green card and they do not have to worry about an expiring visa like the others.
    Jewish people have a very high regard for rules and for the law that favors the "Chosen Jewish Nation". Mexicans are the cattle like all non- Jews.
    JUDE UBER ALLES!
    JUDE UBER ALLES!
    JUDE UBER ALLES! (Nazi: Jews above others!)
    Remember USA is for Jews only and for those who support terror of Israel and SS Sharon.
    2 million Russian Jews have immigrated to US as refuges and it has been being the major immigration fraud.

Some Russian non-Jews buy a fake Jewish birth certificate for a couple thousands of dollars in Russian bazaar in order to get a refugee status and a green card in USA.
    The refugee law and Jewish quotas has not been decommissioned for political reasons. Powerful American Jewish lobby still opens back doors for Jews from Russia and from all over the world.
    The rest of non-Jews face immigration hell or have to wait many years to get a green card.

Gentile, don't spam the boards, you moron!