Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSN

Hi,

before anyone starts stressing me out about breaking the law, I am sorry and really could do without a lecture, so only construtive advice please.

the situation is, I had a student work visa a few years ago, and because of that have a social security number, I recently went to the states and used my SSN for work because I was broke and needed money.

Now I m getting married to my boyfriend who Is American and am scared the INS will find out.

Can/will they check my SSN and see activity, i only made abou 2000

What should I do, should I call my employer and tell him not to submit my SSN?

Hi,

before anyone starts stressing me out about breaking the law, I am sorry and really could do without a lecture, so only construtive advice please.

the situation is, I had a student work visa a few years ago, and because of that have a social security number, I recently went to the states and used my SSN for work because I was broke and needed money.

Now I m getting married to my boyfriend who Is American and am scared the INS will find out.

Can/will they check my SSN and see activity, i only made abou 2000

What should I do, should I call my employer and tell him not to submit my SSN?

So let me see if I have this right...you don't want a lecture, but you want to have your 'employer' commit some kind of fraud on your behalf?
    When you came to the US, you likely told INS that you were coming for 'tourism' (a lie), then worked without permission (break our laws), now you want some other person to possibly violate federal laws so you can be happy? Am I missing something here? Does the word "ethics" mean anything to you? Perhaps your dictionary at home gives the following meaning:

ethics - a set of unique principles whereby an alien visitor who lies to INS, disobeys US laws and encourages others to commit fraud on their behalf
    should be forgiven of all these transgressions and given a green card as soon as possible just because he/she says "I'm sorry."

We should contact the Miriam-WEbster company and make sure that dictionaries are reprinted with your 'correct' definition; mine sure has a different explanation of the word 'ethics.'

Your closing sentence really demonstrates how "sorry" you really are - NOT!

What Anon said was harsh but nevertheless true.
    When you return to the US you will be subject to deportation not to mention federal charges.

Consider very well what you want to do.

You have little right going for you, even marriage to a USC.

I agree with the two previous replies.

If the amployer paid you, and withheld taxes etc, then it is already too late, your info has been reported to IRS --> and INS can probably find out if they look into it. How much money you made is not relevant. The fact is that you worked illegally.

If you are getting married for the real reasons, and not just to get a green card, I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney. An attorney may be able to help you out.

And most importantly, don't do anything else that is against the law.

I have seen this situation posted many times over the last 5 years. The replies were encouraging that the consequences for this type of action are minimal. That is not to say it is ok, just not a death sentence for your green card. Try asking at http://k1.exit.com because I believe that is where I saw this kind of situation posted last. Good luck. Try not to worry.

Miki Is Right. And Yes, I find anon harsh in giving his comments and giving his advice. (geesshh, imagine him If he's an immigration officer ! and oh, Im glad he's not my father ) If in case you will be called for an interview and will be asked about this matter, just tell the truth ( honesty is the best policy ) and sincerely tell the officer how you feel about it, that you're scarred but wants to do the right thing this time. Don't worry, PRAY that everything goes fine.

OK, for all of those who think my comments were harsh...just ask yourselves..how would you feel if you had lost your job to "Scared"? How would you feel if a close relative or friend had lost their job to "Scared"? And how many of you, if you were an employer, would agree to commit fraud just to help someone continue to break more laws?
    Last time I checked, someone in the US on a tourist visa does NOT have any RIGHT to work! Hello boys and girls...Congress made that rule, not me. You want to maintain your standard of living, with decent wages, etc? Well, then let everyone in the world come to the US and work for less, pay fewer taxes, etc and see what the results would be, or for that matter, what they are in some industries.
    Either we have rules that people must follow (or else incur a penalty) or we just open our borders to everyone, and let them do whatever they want in our country.
    There are legal ways for people to work in the US, to come and get married in the US and to get a green card. People like "Scared" undermine our system and thumb their noses at our regulations when they choose to ignore the law. It's even worse when they want everything to be forgiven, telling us how sorry they are while in the same breath ask others to commit fraud on their behalf.

Wow, what possessed you to come visit and then work under false pretenses (I know you're broke and needed the money, but since you were on vacation, didn't you budget)? Did your employer ask to see your SSN card when you were here? I'm assuming they most likely didn't ask for it but they should since its the law. Regardless, if they put you on payroll, chances are they've already reported to IRS and taken out necessary taxes.
    Historically IRS and INS don't usually communicate as freely amongst each other, but there have been cases.
    Are you in the US now? If so, you may want to consult a competent Imm. lawyer and see what your options are. If you're not in the US, INS will most likely find out you've worked illegaly while your filing is pending.
    As Miki said, this is not a death sentance. You need to rectify this situation out and be thorough in your plannings. Good Luck.

I think you can benefit from 245i. You'll have to pay a $ 1,000 fine to INS and you should be Ok.