free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: vawa adjustment status

hi all,
    i have filed my i-485 application at the NYC district office on August 2001, i haven't heard nothing about my FP and interview.
    My AOS application is based on my approved vawa self petition(i-360), i went down to federal plaza about 3months ago to inquire about my case(room 800), i was told that my file is there but in a different floor which she didn't want disclose.
    I wonder if anyone here knows about this type of cases(battered spouses)and how USCIS adjust them.
    your help is appreciated
    Thank you

hi all,
    i have filed my i-485 application at the NYC district office on August 2001, i haven't heard nothing about my FP and interview.
    My AOS application is based on my approved vawa self petition(i-360), i went down to federal plaza about 3months ago to inquire about my case(room 800), i was told that my file is there but in a different floor which she didn't want disclose.
    I wonder if anyone here knows about this type of cases(battered spouses)and how USCIS adjust them.
    your help is appreciated
    Thank you

If your file is on another floor that means that it is in a different unit and nothing can happen until they return the file. By any chance were you in deportation proceedings? If so, you need to be adjusted by an Immigration Judge not the AOS section.

Also, in the NY District, the officers are not allowed to disclose the location of a file when it is in another unit. That could potentially hamper an investigation (if there was one) so once a file is in another unit they are not allowed to say. Obviously, if they could tell you if a file was in FOIA, Advance Parole or Employment Authorization unit and the only places they COULDN'T tell you about were Investigations, Deportation and Litigation the applicant would immediately be alerted that something was wrong with the application when they didn't tell you where it was.

Thank you so much bronzelady,
    Actually i was never in deportation proceedings.
    I get an emergency AP last november, i went to visit my family and came back with no problem.
    what i was told in other immigration forums that BCIS officers are not familliar with the adjudication of approved vawa cases, add to that the new homeland security department maybe the one who adjudicates such cases.
    what's really eating me is the fact that it's away longer than 29months and that's going to affect the process of naturalization.
    Thanks again

CIS officers are familiar with VAWA cases it's not new. It's taking longer because your file was taken out of line to process an advance parole and who knows if they sent the file back immediately when they were done. Any time you take your file out of line for something you delay your application. By the way, CIS is PART of Homeland Security.

thanks again,
    i just want to clarify that my AP was requested the same day cause i had an emergency.
    i have also read the latest DHS interview regarding processing vawa cases, on the adjustment question nothing was said about speeding up the process.
    PS:the interview was posted in this forum

Are there poeple who would like to share their experiences with vawa(battered immigrant)?
    especially the adjustment process.
    i would love to know more about vawa adjustment.
    Thanks all